1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What are the implications of teaching someone with Savant Syndrome?

Discussion in 'Special educational needs' started by R13, Nov 1, 2017.

1. R13

R13 New commenter

We have a young lad of 12 at our special school who has Learning Difficulties, mild CP and ASD. He generally presents at the levels one might expect of a child with SLD but he has always shown a particularly strong memory (For things that interest him!) but more recently is starting to present skills his parents are describing as Savant.

If told a date in 2017 he appears to be able to state what day of the week it was and what he did that day. His verbal answer about what he did is simplistic and at the level one might expect from a 4 year old - but his ability to immediately say what day of the week it was is clearly exceptional.

Google provides me with lots of interesting stories about incredible individuals BUT what parents want to know is . . .what are the implications for teaching him now we know he has this. Staff at our school are routinely trained in TEACCH, PECS, Attention Autism etc. so I am not asking how to teach a child with an Autistic Spectrum Condition, more specifically what advice does anyone have around working with a child with this particular skill?

Thank you!

2. CurriculumForAutism

CurriculumForAutism Occasional commenter

Here's an interesting documentary about Daniel Tammet who can do amazing calculations in his head
    His book "Born On A Blue Day" is worth a read too.

3. Flanks

Flanks New commenter

teacherclairemcc likes this.
  4. Have you any other evidence of what he can do? If you've built up a picture of his skills, we might be able to comment more. As #Flanks says - this skill alone does not imply savantism.

5. R13

R13 New commenter

Thank you for your comments - he hasn't got a diagnosis of Savant and I will not be seeking one. I doubt parents will either, they just believe it to be the case.

What I was after is finding out the implications for educational strategies for a child with such needs, because I am interested and because they may help (Rather than to try and prove or disprove a parental theory about need which probably won't help anyone)

Thanks for your time