1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What are the implications of not having a PGCE when you have already been awarded QTS?

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by baggieboo, Aug 26, 2020.

1. baggieboo

baggieboo New commenter

I'm hoping you can help me understand the importance of gaining my PGCE. I did a SCITT course and have gained my QTS but I haven't completed the PGCE yet - due to personal circumstances. What are the implications of failing the PGCE? None of the jobs I have applied for ask for a PGCE, they all require the QTS, so what would happen if I didn't get my PGCE?

2. ACOYEAR8

ACOYEAR8 Star commenter

Dunno is my short reply.
    I do not have one either and I'm pretty certain a PGCE is just ONE way into teaching.
    Logically, if it made any difference, you wouldn't have been awarded QTS would you ?

Marshall and strawbs like this.
  3. strawbs

strawbs Established commenter

I think some international schools wouldn't recognize routes like Scitt

4. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

Are you thinking of teaching outside the UK?

I've seen posts suggesting that a PGCE as well as QTS is a visa requirement in some countries. No personal experience myself but if that's potentially relevant you might want to repost your question on the Teaching abroad forum.

5. HelenPearce35

HelenPearce35 New commenter

Just to jump onto this thread...my husband completed the Graduate Teacher Program (GTP) in 2002 much like the school direct program now.
    He has a degree and was salaried as an unqualified teacher until he gained QTS. He taught for 16 years in Dorset and Somerset, as a teacher and head of department, he left teaching 2 yrs ago and is now looking to join the Army reservists in the Adjutant core (Teachers etc) but they are asking for a level 7 teaching qualification. Is QTS a level 7 equivalent? We have tried contacting the General Teaching Council, the Council he trained through, the school he trained through and have looked at the 'get into teaching website' for the answer, but seem to be getting nowhere fast.
    Any suggestions or advice would be massively helpful.
    Thanks

6. ACOYEAR8

ACOYEAR8 Star commenter

I'd try speaking directly to the Army Recruitment, -please post their reply, I'd be interested in this myself...

7. HelenPearce35

HelenPearce35 New commenter

It's the Army recruitment that are wanting the level 7 teaching qualification.
    They have no idea either, plus their website says a level 6 is required but the lady he spoke to says level 7.
    Hope we find an answer soon as it's rather frustrating.

8. ACOYEAR8

ACOYEAR8 Star commenter

Found this. I'd say tbh that your husband is certainly qualified.
    Qualifications
    In all three armed forces a degree is essential for this role - you won't be able to enter with only an HND.

A postgraduate certificate in education (PGCE) is not a pre-requisite, but teacher training can be advantageous.