1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What are the good and bad points of being a secondary school teacher from your personal experience?

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by RACHELSCOUSEGREEN, Mar 8, 2011.

1. There is a lot of negativity and moaning regarding teaching so I thought I would ask this question, so that people can weigh up the good with the bad. What is it about teaching you love or do not love? Can you see yourself in any other profession? Are you happy with your career choice?!

2. There is a lot of negativity and moaning regarding teaching so I thought I would ask this question, so that people can weigh up the good with the bad. What is it about teaching you love or do not love? Can you see yourself in any other profession? Are you happy with your career choice?!

3. henriette

henriette New commenter

I absolutely love working with teenagers every day - they can be so funny and lovely when teh spirit takes them!

I hate the competition between departments - why shoudl any one be more inportant than the rest?

4. Like - working with teenagers and being part of their lives; the freedom of running my own classroom how I like; the opportunity to work with creativity and initiative; the freedom, to some extent, to choose my own hours; the new challenges and directions so that I never get bored; the job security and the holidays.

Dislike - being a political football; student apathy; league tables and the resulting emphasis on exam results to the detriment of learning and education; OFSTED and the whole flawed premise of inspections; the poor working environment.

5. p1j39

p1j39 New commenter

Like - enthusing students about all things science

Dislike - being told to **** off by a student

6. And the incompetent SMT, with their stupid and dumb initiatives, hindering teachers being effective in the classroom.