1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What are the downsides and drawbacks of retirement?

Discussion in 'Retirement' started by Startedin82, Aug 13, 2017.

1. sophrysyne

sophrysyne New commenter

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought only 35 qualifying years were needed to get a state pension - that was from the Gov site.

2. sophrysyne

sophrysyne New commenter

True - but then again, every day is a holiday!

thistledoo likes this.
  3. sophrysyne

sophrysyne New commenter

I think it was Seneca who said that if you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need. Sums it up for us.

4. Sundaytrekker

Sundaytrekker Star commenter

Yes and you will get a full pension under the old system. But to get the new £155 a week most teachers won’t have sufficient years as we were contracted out. My NI record also says I must pay NI for the next six years to qualify for the full new state pension. I think my part time earnings will do it so it is something else to consider.

eljefeb90 likes this.
  5. eljefeb90

eljefeb90 Senior commenter

I make class 2 voluntary contributions, about £65 per month, to cover N.I. contributions for 2016-2017, when I didn't earn much from part-time work. You have to do your calculations carefully in order to make up the £30 shortfall in your future state pension due to contracting out. With interest rates so low, you may feel it is a good idea to pay the £770 a year as voluntary N.I. contributions. If you pay 6 years X £770 = £4620. £30 per week extra means you will break even after 3 years of retirement. It all depends on how long you live, obviously , but it is inflation proof and may well be worth assigning a chunk of your lump sum to paying N.I. Alternatively, if you earn more than £5,500 (I think!), you will pay N.I. This is what I am aiming to do this year and then I will check with HMRC to see whether I need to make any more additional voluntary contributions.I am working from memory here , so please correct me if I am wrong.

6. eljefeb90

Every day is what you make of it. I am so grateful every day that I was able to get out when I did.I cannot believe my good fortune after feeling trapped and exploited towards the end of my career.

thistledoo, frangipani123 and Weald56 like this.
  7. binaryhex

binaryhex Lead commenter

Too many people spend the majority of their old age being sick, disabled and ill. Do the sums carefully. Downsize if necessary. There is a life of fun and enjoyment outside working, so retire when you can. I got out when I was 50, did supply when I was in the mood and now aged 55, have stopped completely. In the last 5 years, the maximum I spent in any year was about £12K. You really don’t need a lot if the mortgage is paid off, you drive a small car and have some savings. As it happens, I am still teaching, but doing voluntary work in a lovely primary school in the countryside in Asia, and couldn’t be happier. After years of teaching shi. tty kids in secondary schools in the UK, it is so nice to teach real, happy children who do their best all the time and are so grateful for their education. And my total outgoings for the last six months have averaged about £300 a month, which includes renting a bungalow, all food, transport and entertainment. The sunshine is free.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2017
  8. paulstjohn2014

paulstjohn2014 Occasional commenter

binaryhex with your appalling reference to uk students as 'shi.tty kids in secondary schools' I for one am pleased you no longer teach here. A terrible generalisation to make!

emerald52 likes this.
  9. heldon

heldon Occasional commenter

But in UK state schools there certainly are some challenging pupils, as well as some lovely kids

thistledoo and stopwatch like this.
  10. stopwatch

stopwatch Established commenter

BH is right - there certainly are some sh1.tty kids. Not all are like this, but those who are, can make life miserable if you are on the receiving end of them.

Being objective (I think):

1) It depends which school you work at/where it is. I worked in 2 challenging schools in the North West for 21 years. About 85% of the school were generally nice,well motivated young people. The other 15% were the total other end of the scale and took up about 85% of the time and resources (well - time is probably the main resource). It bordered in driving me, literally, nuts
    2) There are some (many?) schools where there is a much larger percentage of both categories. I did some supply in Aston, Birmingham. Feral is putting it kindly to describe a much larger percentage of the pupils there. I also did some work in a Girls Secondary School in South Birmingham. If I could have spent my 21 years in UK schools at that school I would probably never have considered moving out of UK to work.
    3) It can be somewhat made easier teaching sh1.tty kids if they are managed properly by those above using an effective behavioural system. Unfortunately, in my experience, it never was.
    4) There are some teachers who thrive in schools which are full of (OK, I will stop using the ess aitch one tee word) 'challenging' pupils and fair play to them - I honestly admire them completely, but for the majority it is degrading and demoralising and not what they came to teaching for.

So, in summary there is some accuracy in what BH has said and yes it is a generalisation. I am sure if you asked BH to be objective then, yes he/she may agree that it was a generalisation - but so what.

I am also pleased BH is no longer working there. I am sure she/he is much happier.

thistledoo and eljefeb90 like this.
  11. eljefeb90

I instinctively feel uncomfortable when teachers denigrate all UK kids. Some of the most delightful human beings I ever met were children I taught. I also taught three pupils who were later convicted of vicious murders.You would be incredibly naïve not to believe that you will have to deal with behaviour problems in most classes. Is it just a UK thing? From experience, I think the problem is worse here than in other countries. Being a linguist, I took part in three teacher exchange programmes during my career.I remember the trainers, with the experience of hundreds
    of teacher exchanges summarising the overall situation as: "UK teachers have, with very few exceptions, positive experiences in European schools whereas continental staff almost invariably have bad experiences and struggle to cope with pupil behaviour". This was in 1990. Although I remember bridling somewhat at the generalisation at the time, this was also my experience and the experience of all those who participated in these exchanges. I recall one Austrian guy who was flabbergasted when an English pupil refused to carry out a direct instruction..he'd never experienced it or even heard of it in 20 years of teaching in Austria.

thistledoo likes this.
  12. Sally_90

Sally_90 Occasional commenter

Thanks @thistledoo . We've had another little dodgy spell recently healthwise but things are stable again now.
    Oftsed were in my old school last week during that time and they interrogated every single subject coordinator (Primary). If I'd not been retired and coping with Mr. Sally's illness that surely would have finished me off.

I sympathise with your situation trying to get time off to see people. I had exactly the same problem while my father was alive. He was 85 miles away and it was so so difficult especially when the time came when he needed to go into a home. Wth an understanding Head, I was able to go down there for two days to sort things out.

thistledoo likes this.
  13. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

Hmm. An interesting discussion. Recently I had a message from a teacher who had been involved with the British Council, arranging for a group of Chinese teachers to work in the UK as TAs. Many of these Chinese teachers were not impressed (I think that is putting it mildly) with the poor attitude shown by the students in the British schools where they were working. My perspective is a little bit different, as I am currently teaching in southern China, as a Year 5 class teacher. My students are polite, hard-working and delightful. They manage to be well-behaved and industrious, even though Mandarin is their first language and therefore most of their lessons are much, much more difficult for them than they would be for students in the UK. You can read more about this on my blog, www.bulgariawithnoodles.blogspot.com and yes, I will be retiring at the end of this academic year.

14. stopwatch

Wasn't there a documentary on TV about 2 to 3 years ago where a group of UK teachers and Chinese teachers swapped schools. The Chinese teachers were visibly shocked by the "I ain't bovvered" brigade and the lack of respect they showed towards their teachers.

15. paulstjohn2014

Hippo I don't wish to hijack the main subject of this thread but you tend to forget that China is a regime based on fear and thought control. Hence robotic students. Your posts on here continually spout how wonderful life is elsewhere compared to the UK. Furthermore a number of posters on here seem to ignore the possibility that poor teaching and inappropriate curriculum play their part too in behavioural responses. I spent most of my career in challenging schools and loved it. Relationships are the key. Most students are just fine in the UK. Give me a group of questioning 16 year olds any day in the UK rather than a group of fearful students from some other parts of the world. How boring it would be to teach totally compliant students all the time. Having challenging students keeps planning and ideas fresh in order to stimulate and engage them. The best learning no occurs when students discuss and question rather than just absorb facts. Don't think that happens much in China!

Alice K likes this.
  16. stopwatch

It is probably less simplistic than an either/or situation that is being portrayed by all here (including me I would add).

There is questioning as in "why should I do this - it's boring and I ain't gonna get a job anyway so what's the point?" - regardless of what is being taught and there is productive questioning based on what is being taught.

There is compliant as in unquestioned obedience through fear and there is compliance as in genuinely engrossed in learning and productively/positively engaging in the learning process.

Each to their own. I much prefer the latter forms of questioning and compliance.

You are correct, bad curriculum and bad teaching can contribute to negativity and bad behaviour but this isn't always the reason. Often the reason is bad parenting resulting in bad attitudes resulting in bad behaviour.

As I said before, I genuinely admire those who can work with the latter version of questioning and defiance. Like most things, there are myriad versions of both pupils and teachers. As long as they are both appropriately matched - life is sweet.

eljefeb90 likes this.
  17. stopwatch

OK, I am really confuzzled now! I have paid around 32 years (around 25 years in UK and around 7 years class 2 whilst overseas). I will be paying the class 2 until I leave Saudi this July, so will have about 32 years and 6 months .

I called HMRC and, although I can buy back years - which works out relatively cheaply - I was advised not to by them. They said something like "It might be that it makes no difference to your payment under the new system". So I didn't by the back years. I didn't really understand what they were saying.

Was I given the correct information or would you advise buying back some years?

18. paulstjohn2014

No point in buying back years pre 2016. To improve your entitlement towards the ‘new’ pension’ you can pay voluntary NI contributions from now until just before your state pension retirement age.

eljefeb90 and stopwatch like this.
  19. stopwatch

As before, without wanting to hijack/divert the thread, I found this:

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2016/oct/08/how-to-boost-state-pension

Can I buy these whilst still working overseas? if not, can I buy these in UK after I return in July 2018? Do I have to be unemployed to be able to buy them, or can I buy them even if working?

Thanks

20. frangipani123

frangipani123 Lead commenter

The best thing is to check online to see what you are predicted to get. If you were in the TPS then that is a contracted out pension so you won't receive a full State Pension.

https://www.gov.uk/check-state-pension