1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What are the best value for money glue and sticks?

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by charlievald, Jul 5, 2020.

1. charlievald

charlievald New commenter

For kids sticking paper into their books teachers sticking in learning objectives what is the quickest and cheapest method you have found?

Are any of the cheaper glue sticks any good?

Do any of you use printed labels to speed up the process or is this not cost effective. Or do you have any other suggestions or ideas that work well and are cheap and quick.

2. Gsr25

Gsr25 Occasional commenter

Pritt sticks are without a doubt better than Espo value and other cheap ones I have used. Buy cheap buy twice!
    I have used labels for LOs in year 2 and they helped save time.

TeacherMan19 likes this.
  3. TeacherMan19

TeacherMan19 Occasional commenter

I second Gsr25 with "buy cheap, buy twice".
    I used 'Gloy' branded glue sticks which were a cheaper alternative to Pritt Stick. They were acceptable.
    I used LO with year 1+ and used stickers in one school I worked in which was easier. I didn't pay for them so no idea about cost.

... I just read mine back and I pretty much wrote exactly the same as Gsr25!

Gsr25 likes this.
  4. charlievald

charlievald New commenter

Thanks to you both presumed the response would be Pritt Stick but worth finding out.

5. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

I love the super cheap glue sticks...much easier to remove when the kids have stuck things in the wrong places. We have whatever the own brand ones are from the catalogues (classmates maybe?) and they have been fine for nursery and reception.
    We have a couple of 'real' pritt sticks, but more used for adults sticking something to give to other adults that needs to last.

EYFS shouldn't have LOs stuck in books...

6. claudette_A

claudette_A New commenter

Your possible options for sticking stuff in learning journeys:

> Branded Pritt Stick; much more reliable and sticky, but expensive
    > Unbranded Glue Stick (the few I’ve tested); they work but usually stickiness is terrible or (lack of stickiness after a few weeks)
    > PVA Glue: cheap & good stickiness but uneven application results in sticky marks showing through work if you’re a bit generous.
    > Spray Adhesive (they sell these at some of the one pound shops in DIY, Car section); a bit and hit an miss. Super fast application and sticks but can get messy because you need to organise the table area to spray in a certain way. You need to perfect the spray technique to just right amount of adhesive required or you risk soaking.
    > Staples; yeah quick bam, bam, bam and bam for each corner of the work. Work stays in but I’m not too sure SLT would be too happy with presentation.

...it might not be as personal but opt for digital, it’s all the rage these days; 2 Simple 2 Build a profile, Tapestry etc...you save on paper, glue and time as you just take a photo and select the corresponding learning statement.