1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What are the best pens for handwriting?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by eggs67, Oct 2, 2010.

1. I'm year 5 teacher and have the same problems with some pupils handwriting as I'm sure many do. We don't move pupils on to pens till they reach year 5 and many struggle to maintain their handwriting when they change. Have used Pen Licences and they work well.
    Part of the problem though I feel is the pens themselves. We use Berol Handwriting Pens which are good to start with and then seem to deteriorate very quickly. Has anyone got any recommendations on an alternative?

2. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

The reason the handwriting appears to get worse initially is due to the friction difference. Pens show far less friction than pencils and so slide across the paper more quickly, making them more difficult to control. Soon gets better though.
    We use Berol Handwriting with no real issues at all. Some children, who have their own, have other sorts, but all are happy to use school ones should they need to.

3. we use staedtler 309 - they are very nice to write with

I really dislike berol - too thick an blotchy