1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What are the best Hitchcock movies?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by wagnerfan, Aug 18, 2012.

1. I'm thinking of having a Hitchcock fest over the last week or so of the holidays. I've got almost every one of his films on DVD apart from his silent films so need to choose which ones to watch. What would be your top ten list of movies by the pot-bellied master of suspense? This is mine:
    1. Psycho - love it more every time i watch it - Hermann's score really makes the film what it is
    2. Vertigo - Most moving Hitch movie and and Bernard Hermann's wonderful Tristan und Isolde-eque score. Love Jimmy Stewart's and Kim Novak's performances
    3 The Birds - love Tippi Hedron's performance and another great score
    4. Rear Window - Jimmy Stewart again plus wonderful Grace Kelly
    5. Spellbound - Incredible Ingrid Bergmann, another very moving film by Hitch
    6. Frenzy - controversial and extreme but compulsive viewing, love Anna massey's and Jon Finch's performances
    7. North by Northwest - not normally so keen on Carry Grant, but great film
    8. Notorious - wonderful Ingrid Bergman again and the great Claude Rains, another emotionally involvign film by Hitch
    9. Torn Curtain - often criticised and a shame it didn't have the Hermann score, but strangely very enjoyable spy film
    10. Topaz - another heavily criticised film, and suffers from having the ending changed, but another strangely enjoyable spy film

2. Top 3 are definitely: 1. Vertigo 2. Psycho. 3. The Birds. First watched them all in my teens and they scared me like no others (apart from 'The Haunting of Hill House' and 'Silence of the Lambs'). Still have thrilling exciting scariness from all of these films!

3. dozymare1957

dozymare1957 Occasional commenter

I still have nightmares about the Birds which I saw nearly 50 years ago!

4. marshypops

marshypops New commenter

I think you've mentioned most of them, there are a few missing:
    1. The 39 steps (classic Hitchcock).
    2. Marnie (editing isn't great at times but a imo a "classic").
    3. To catch a thief (pure escapism).
    4. Mr and Mrs Smith (one of his better comedies).

5. MrGator

MrGator New commenter

I love North By Northwest and I think Rebecca is superb. For me though, it has to be Rear Window - Jimmy Stewart is fantastic!
    [​IMG]

6. kittylion

kittylion Senior commenter

Me too Dozy - they were the original angry birds! I remember hiding behind the settee. My brother had nightmares (what a softie).

7. Henriettawasp

Henriettawasp New commenter

How about 'Rope'? Coldly disturbing.

8. So many to choose from! I love the 39 Steps, Rebecca, Spellbound and North by North West the most, I think.
    Psycho is brilliant but flawed, with unconvincing sections near the end, when the murdered girl's boyfriend talks to Norman Bates while her sister searches the creepy house, and then the psychiatrist's explanation at the close, although the final shot of Bates' face dissolving into his dead mother's is brilliant.

9. I find them all over-rated and, as times goes by, very dated.
    I know they have a strong following, but I have just never 'got it'.
    Sorry.

10. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

Dial M for Murder.

11. Rear Window is my all time favourite film. I love the insular sense to it and the element of Jimmy Stewart being voyeuristic and with things "not feeling right" with him.
    I have a soft spot for Strangers on a Train and I think Marnie is utterly intriguing. I use Psycho to teach music in horror films for Media Studies and we explore the use of the stuffed birds to illustrate characters during the scene where Bates is sat with Crane in his parlour; this is totally chilling.
    Gotta love a bit of the Hitch!

12. I prefer his movies from the the 40s, 50s and 60s, but if I was having to choose just from his British movies from the 1930s I would go for:
    1. The 39 Steps
    2. Young and Innocent
    3. The Lady Vanishes
    4. Sabatoge
    5. The Man Who Knew Too Much (original version)
    16. Secret Agent

13. Thats a very nice choice of top three, I'd definitely go with that for the start of my Hitchcock fest - you've got suspense, love beyond death, scares, fabulous music scores by Bernard Hermann, icy blondes, Jimmy Stewart at his greatest - wonderful. Vertigo is an incredible film right from the opening sequence to the very end. I'm not surprised it recently knocked Citizen Kane (which I found boring to be honest and can't understand why its so highly rated) off the US movie critics choice of great film of all time. Apparently Vertigo was a failure at the box office when it originally came out, and it wasn't until years later that it became widely recognised as a masterpiece.