1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What are the benefits of high intensity aerobic exercise on the learning of 3 children with SEN?

Discussion in 'Special educational needs' started by bh00ou, Oct 29, 2016.

1. bh00ou

bh00ou New commenter

Hello TES community!

I am a teacher in training (currently an SEN EA) and I am doing the above as part of my case study. Just wanted to know if any of you guys have come across any good books,literature, studies etc in regards to physical exercise and the benefits on learning specifically with SEN pupils.

Cheers

2. rosiecg

rosiecg Occasional commenter

Are you looking at any particular type of SEN?

3. bh00ou

bh00ou New commenter

2 has speech delays but high functioning and will probably come off LS soon. 1 has downs.

4. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Star commenter

It tires them out so they are less disruptive later ...

bh00ou likes this.
  5. rosiecg

rosiecg Occasional commenter

Sara Knight is the author of several books about forest schools, and most of her books have sections on the benefits of outdoor play/exercise for a range of learners. Might be worth a look?

6. circuskevin

circuskevin Occasional commenter

How old are these children?

Kevin

7. bh00ou

bh00ou New commenter

Thank you :)

8. bh00ou

bh00ou New commenter

9 years old

9. circuskevin

circuskevin Occasional commenter

So what exactly do you mean by 'high intensity aerobic exercise'?

Is that not just running around at playtime which most 9 year olds love to do anyway?

Kevin

bh00ou likes this.
  10. bh00ou

bh00ou New commenter

Sorry guys, let me elaborate a bit more. The PSPE team put this intervention in place because they found kids were commuting sat down for up to an hour and 20 mins to come to school and then most of them would begin their lessons sat down. They found the kids to be tired in the mornings in body and mind.
    They do 4-5 mins of high aerobic exercise before they start their lessons now.

11. bh00ou

bh00ou New commenter

burpees, squats, star jumps etc.