1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What are the 3 things a Deputy should never do?

Discussion in 'Headteachers' started by TheoGriff, Dec 15, 2010.

1. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Somebody on SMT Forum went for a Deputy Head interview, and was asked this question.
    I wonder what answer they were looking for.
    Anyone got any idea? Things that specifically a Deputy shouldn't do, not just any teacher.
    Search me!
    <font face="Calibri">TheoGriff. Member of the TES Careers Advice Service.</font>The TES Careers Advice service<font face="Calibri"> runs seminars, one-to-one career advice, one-to-one interview coaching and an application review service. For further details, click on the link above, or e-mail advice@tsleducation.com .

2. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

1. Ever undermine the head teacher to other staff including when *** in the pub with them. 2. Make 'promises' in the heads name without previous agreement. 3. Feel compelled to agree with the head for the sake of it - a good deputy will be a forum for a head teachers vocalised thoughts on matters and offer a valid opinion.

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Yes! Of course, why couldn't I see that! Going gag in my old age.
    Also:
    Never say - or lead people to understand - that you voted against that unpopular decision in SMT.
    Never tell parents that you, of course, would have dealt with the matter differently, but unfortunately your hands were tied.
    Never expect to be treated more favourably than other staff vis-a-vis parking, choice of classroom, which teaching groups you get.
    Anything else?
    <font face="Calibri">TheoGriff. Member of the TES Careers Advice Service.</font>The TES Careers Advice service<font face="Calibri"> runs seminars, one-to-one career advice, one-to-one interview coaching and an application review service. For further details, click on the link above, or e-mail advice@tsleducation.com .

4. Never lose sight of what it's like to be in a classroom.
    IMO too many deputy heads seem to be "non teaching" nowadays.

5. 1. claim the heads office as theirs!
    2. let down the heads tyres,
    3. have an affair with the heads wife/husband

6. There's a good reason for that, the amount of management workload in certain schools. EG: CP, SEN, to list but two. This enables other leaders to spend more time in the classroom and lessen the workload on many teaching staff, thus releasing them to focus fully on what they should be doing-teaching.
    Deputy Heads should not:
    Be partisan (either side of the line)
    Have a group of "special friends" in the staff room.
    Be loose lipped in any circumstance
    Hide behind the head
    Publicly criticise anyone
    Let their ego loose anywhere
    Sit in their office playing angry birds all day
    Get the best laptop
    Avoid doing their fair share of anything
    Wear inappropriate clothing-plunging neck lines, hipsters revealing G string/Boxer tops

7. Sorry. I didn't mean to sound "off" about the dep not being in class. I know why they are non -teaching and I agree that they need to be so ....
    I meant that they need to remember that teachers don't have a whole day/week out of class to meet the deadlines the Dep Head sets in order to meet the their own deadlines. Teachers don't always get into the staff room to see notices on changes to the day's timetable. Teachers only get a set time to have lunch and sometimes a quick 5 minute meeting that turns into 50 minutes isn't ideal for them whereas the dep can eat their lunch/go out to do things after a meeting because their lunch break can be taken at anytime.
    I wasn't suggesting they weren't doing the work schools needed them to do by being out of class I was trying to point out that a teacher's day/week can't be as flexible as theirs because of their classroom commitments.
    Does that make sense? ... it's been a long day!

8. That job is reserved for me. Don't you wish you knew who I was?

9. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Seriously.
    1. Undermine the HT in any way. Yes, it is appropriate to argue with the HT in the privacy of the HT's office, but outside that, support is necessary.
    2. Undermine the governors in any way. Again, this is to be confined to the governors' mneetings.
    Fail to lose sight of the long term aspirations of the school.

10. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

Surely you mean that a deputy should never 'lose sight of the long term aspirations of the school'?

11. Never tell a member of staff that they are unprofessional because they happen to disagree with you and are not scared to say so.

12. Ha Ha. Lunch break? What is one of those?

13. Hmmmmm my Deputy slates the head, critisises the head at pyramid meetings, takes the micky out of him, parents, children and staff (especially me), gossips and shares private information, talks about staff with parents informally outside school and if you stand up to her you find your TA support time cut.
    Clearly no-one told her what a good deputy should do.

14. Never stop supporting the Head's vision
    Never forget that you are not the head - but it is ok to challenge
    Never comparise or your own ethos and integrity which presumably your head knows about

15. Never believe you are superior
    Never believe you are infallible
    Never lose your sense of humour