1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What are Tes doing about the 1st May VAT changes?

Discussion in 'Tes Authors' Group' started by EC_Resources, May 16, 2020.

1. EC_Resources

EC_Resources Occasional commenter

Hi there,

Over on the Tes author Facebook group, we're all wondering what Tes Resources is doing about the 1st May changes to VAT.

It still seems to be being charged at the moment and our understanding is that our materials aren't eligible for VAT anymore. Correct me if I'm wrong!

@tesAuthorTeam

Attached Files:

2. TheGingerTeacher

TheGingerTeacher Established commenter Forum guide and community helper

I would like to know this too and where the money is going if we are no longer expected to pay vat?

3. vcurrie19

vcurrie19 New commenter

I also echo the concerns mentioned above!

labellaroma and EC_Resources like this.
  4. labellaroma

labellaroma Occasional commenter

I also would like to know. Why isn't Tes responding?

5. tesAuthorTeam

tesAuthorTeam Administrator Staff Member TES Authors' forum host

We are aware of the changes to VAT and certainly appreciate your interest in them. We are currently getting advice on this and are awaiting further clarification.

EC_Resources likes this.
  6. Outstanding_Resources

Outstanding_Resources New commenter

If this applies from the 1st May, does that mean that TES are going to backdate us the tax taken??

EC_Resources likes this.
  7. EC_Resources

It's been a week - any news on this, because it's quite a big thing? Thanks

8. TheGingerTeacher

TheGingerTeacher Established commenter Forum guide and community helper

I agree this is quite a big deal! I hope that they will be paying us back all the unnecessary money they have taken? The longer ti goes on the more it will be....

9. MissEHoney

MissEHoney New commenter

I agree this is a big deal to everyone!

I know it's been brought forwards by 6 months, but it's disappointing that you've not already sought advice about this in preparation for the changes. Can you advise us when we are likely to hear?

vcurrie19 likes this.
  10. vcurrie19

vcurrie19 New commenter

Would also like to know when this is getting sorted out

11. ParlezVousFrancais01

ParlezVousFrancais01 New commenter

it would be nice to have some updates indeed!

12. tesAuthorTeam

tesAuthorTeam Administrator Staff Member TES Authors' forum host

We are still waiting for further advice on this once the government releases further guidance because it is not as straight forward as it may at first appear. We will certainly ensure we make all Tes Authors aware of any relevant changes once we know more. I'm sorry we cannot elaborate further at this moment in time.

13. labellaroma

labellaroma Occasional commenter

It's been more than 2 weeks since this thread started. Surely Tes must be in a position by now to inform us of what is happening with regards to the 1st May changes to VAT. Also the question asked by Outstanding_Resources,
    was never answered???

vcurrie19 and EC_Resources like this.
  14. Elsasupport

Elsasupport New commenter

From my understanding it isn’t that simple. Some items such as flash cards, labels, games and posters are standard rate. Unfortunately I don’t think this will benefit us that much, if at all.

15. EC_Resources

What about if we only sell Powerpoints and worksheets? @Elsasupport could we be VAT except in theory? Sorry I don't know much about this so thanks in advance :)

16. Elsasupport

17. Elsasupport

This is key I think F52B72AA-0124-4E8B-BDA6-12B102B6851B.jpeg

18. EC_Resources

Ah that's rubbish if that's the case :s

19. Elsasupport

Yes I know I was excited when I first heard of this but on investigation I can’t see how it will benefit us. Hoping it is a step in the right direction though.