1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What are "shared Christian values"?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by MAGAorMIGA, Jan 16, 2020.

1. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

:D

but...

I remember reading [sorry I know I say this a lot but I've not kept records of all this tidbits] describing tunnels under the Cappadocian mountains which COULD [so evidence] date back 5000+ years... which MIGHT have acted as 'bunker' like structures for humanity in the face of global disaster.... this is obviously highly speculative and most likely incorrect. But it's a nice thought. So sort of an Ark... just not the boat type.

Edit: found this https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Derinkuyu_underground_city

2. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

You cannot disguise a thoughtless choice of words by this underhanded tactic. TES rules and all that.

3. Burndenpark

Burndenpark Star commenter

You are confusing global and world. The biblical event affected the world i.e. the places known to the Israelites, that's no where near as big as the planet.

lanokia likes this.
  4. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

You could have drawn my attention to it on the thread instead of wailing to mama.

5. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

Do Christians know that?

6. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

Just on cursory inspection of the photo, the rib timbers seem to be made of rock even when I zoom in on them. If this is the case then they must have fossilised. There is some debate over how long it takes for wood to fossilise but it would take at least hundreds of thousands of years if not millions of years. Much longer back than Noah would have lived.

If these are rib timbers. then why are they next to each other? Surely, the ribs would be spaced (as in human ribs) With horizontal planks running from front to back. There would need to be fixing holes in the ribs for nails or pegs to hold them but none are shown on the image although to be fair the picture does not have the resolution to show these if they exist.

Then there is the line of rock or 'timbers' that curves from the front within the outline of the 'ark'. Is this some sort of internal structure if so why is it curved? This would make the construction of the ark much more complex and time consuming.

The shape of the 'ark' appears assymetric from this photograph with the right side bulging out more than the left side. With such well preserved 'timbers' still in place then unless the ark was deliberately built this way, which seems unlikely, then this is not an outline of an ancient vessel.

I'm not convinced that this is indeed the remnants of Noah's Ark on this photographic evidence but more likely a natural rock formation. However, I can still be convinced but not by what this photo shows.

7. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Star commenter

It's just a hill!

8. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

Yep. Most of us.

TheoGriff likes this.
  9. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

How do you know which bits are true?

10. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

'True' is different from 'literal'.

TheoGriff likes this.
  11. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

This is the whole point of 'interpretation' and why there is such a diverse range of voices in the Christian community...

Or are we just pretending 'Christian' is some super-homogenised block despite 2000 years of division and argument?

chelsea2 likes this.
  12. Skeoch

Skeoch Lead commenter

This can be described with the idea of non-overlapping magisteria. Worth a look.

13. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

That wasn't what I was referring to, although the idea is sound enough. I've never seen a contradiction between science and religion anyway, because - as is indicated - they are exploring different 'domains'.

I was referring more to, e.g. Bible stories such as Creation in Genesis chapter 1 (and indeed chapter 2 - a different version of creation, as Genesis is a compliation of at least two different source materials). I know some fundamentalist Christians 'believe' it literally describes how the universe was made (no idea how they deal with two versions of the same event). But the majority don't.

They recognise these writings are not meant to be 'history' or 'science' For them, it's a myth, it's poetry, it's a story to 'explain' that God is the reason for the universe, and that all things exist because of God. That is its 'truth' for most Christians.