1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What are "shared Christian values"?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by MAGAorMIGA, Jan 16, 2020.

1. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Star commenter

Most of her time was taken up looking after Jesus's brothers and sisters.

CraigCarterSmith and nomad like this.
  2. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

There is evidence of a major flood in 'Mesopotamia', between the Tigris & Euphrates, back in ancient times.

This, of course, according to the Bible, is the area where the Jewish nation had its beginnings, when God called Abraham to leave the city of 'Ur of the Chaldees' and travel wherever God sent him.

Archaeologists have excavated below the deep layer of silt deposited from the flood and found a completely different style of pottery in these layers from the pottery above. Whatever & whenever this flood was, it was definitely earth-changing.

The flood story (or one of them - there are two versions) found in Genesis is very similar to the flood story found in the epic of Gilgamesh. Word for word in places.

I think it's fair to say there was at least one Great Flood in that area back in prehistory which had such a huge impact on civilisation that the memories of it became the stuff of epic stories.

3. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

The Black Sea deluge hypothesis fits the bible time line quite neatly.

Burndenpark and nomad like this.
  4. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

But not the location.
    Interesting, though. I'd never come across it before.

Burndenpark and nomad like this.
  5. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

There was an impact in the southern Indian ocean around 5000bc that caused extensive flooding along Indian ocean coastlines...

6. Aquamarina1234

The one thing they all have in common is the apportioning of blame to a deity.
    How lovely that we now have Science. :)

Burndenpark likes this.
  7. CraigCarterSmith

CraigCarterSmith Established commenter

My imaginary friend is better than your Imaginary friend and i'll kill you if you don't think so

is that one?

8. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

In answer to your question (Header): "Judge not, lest ye be judged"

9. Burndenpark

Burndenpark Star commenter

Well Earth changing for a small-ish part of the Earth, it just happens to be the part of the Earth where most of our oldest historical records come from.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Sea_deluge_hypothesis

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burckle_Crater

Thanks to you too :)

That could well deliver the flood that Chelsea talked about

Well at least you're never judgmental :rolleyes:

10. Aquamarina1234

How does that work in Crown Court, then? Hey, you raped and murdered your two year old niece. Unanimous guilty verdict but I haven't walked a mile in your shoes, and criminality is really just a psychiatric wiring issue, so we're good? I'm supposed to feel neutral? I can say I do. I can be trained to stifle the first-response "pity we don't have the death penalty" thought, but if there is a deity, he would presumably see right through that one. And hopefully have the wisdom to appreciate the unreasonableness and futility of the instruction.

11. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

My quote was in relation to some of the judgemental commentaries on here. You might be a little more careful in the wording of your second sentence BTW.

12. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

I got the dating wrong... 3000BC not 5000BC [I was thinking 5000 years ago].

It does have a tenuous link to Sumerian creation myth where the Gods sent a flood to destroy the world with flooding for seven days... possibly an extraterrestrial triggered inundation and the recollections of the survivors of an earlier civilisation. I think I'm right when I say the Persian Gulf wasn't as pronounced as it is now and so coastal cities would have been washed away, maybe why Mesopotamian civilisations, when they emerged, were inland, away from the coast.

I'm not sure how to work the "Ark" into it... primitive astronomy identifies a body going to hit us and a group try to ride out the flood? ... not sure how realistic that is... reluctant to go into any further because then we get into fringe historical ideas of an undiscovered supercivilisation.

13. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

Have you read into the Bosnian pyramids?;)

14. Aquamarina1234

Oh dearie me, lexus. It was a reference to a crime I commented on fairly recently and which was nationally reported. Oh - reported. Yep.

15. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

Well why not say that in the first place?

16. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

I've seen the speculation but nothing either way solid... pyramid or hills.

Bit like the Indonesian pyramid... does play into the Sunda-land stuff I've read in the past... that's a flood right there.

lexus300 likes this.
  17. burajda

burajda Star commenter

Interesting....but none of these floods were global extinction events like that 2 by 2 event described in the bible where water engulfed the entire planet.

MAGAorMIGA likes this.
  18. Aquamarina1234

Hadn't realised you were quite so sensitive on the point. You were the one who quoted the second person in the first place.

19. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

That's just a perspective thing... from the perspective of the people at the time it must have seemed like the whole world...

And obviously, religious authorities are going to want to 'hype' the power of their God over rivals.

I recall reading about early Muslim preaching in Iran during the conquests of the 7th/8th centuries... and how the language was focused on combating the native faith of Zoroastrianism. It was a reflection of the times they were in.

A modern example could be the Australian bushfires... they make great TV. It's a first world, open, developed nation... so the bushfires in central Africa?... nah... the melting permafrost of Siberia? ... nah... we focus where the message is best communicated.

And the cultures of Mesopotamia would be very focused on flooding.

20. burajda

burajda Star commenter