1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What are "shared Christian values"?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by MAGAorMIGA, Jan 16, 2020.

1. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

Hah! Corny with a capital S for Sledgehammer!

I think that would have been it for tge amphibians that lay eggs on land (are there any?) and good luck managing the crocodiles and lions - any obligate carnivore, in fact. What were tghey eating? Unicorns? Wait a minute....

2. MAGAorMIGA

MAGAorMIGA Star commenter

Did it expel them for wearing a jumper with a rainbow on it?

install likes this.
  3. MAGAorMIGA

MAGAorMIGA Star commenter

That's quite an accusation, when I have contributed 4 out of 83 posts to the thread, and others have done the theological "heavy lifting". What on earth led you to that conclusion?

install likes this.
  4. burajda

burajda Star commenter

Well that may also depend on the level of salinity of the floodwater and if the flood came at the time of their breeding cycles. The life cycle of prey and food would have been severely disrupted too. I think a person who believes that a global flood actually took place needs to provide the answers though.

Aquamarina1234 likes this.
  5. Aquamarina1234

Inundations happened everywhere since hunans were able to recount. The fact that speaking humans were concentrated in a fairly tight area gave rise to all the flood tales.

Jamvic likes this.
  6. Aquamarina1234

Quite so! But maybe the Prevailing Deity thought of that?
    Oh. I interrupted myself!

7. install

install Star commenter

I do not agree.

The phrase 'shared Christian values' has everything to do with the story. Did you not see it? Looking at the source article the phrase 'shared Christian values' is actually used by the school in their statement:

' Alford said she shared the image on her Facebook page and suspects that someone may have sent a copy of it to the school. She said the image was not intended to represent LGBTQ pride, although her daughter loves all people.

"Whitefield Academy is a Christian-based school with a 43-year history of educating students in a learning environment informed by our shared Christian values," the school said in a statement Tuesday. "All parents who enroll their children in our private school know up front that we ask the students to adhere to a lifestyle informed by our Christian beliefs." '

lanokia likes this.
  8. install

install Star commenter

It looks like it was build up of problems. It is saddening to see the school decided 'shared Christian values' meant their rules, and seemingly not anyone who recognises or acknowledges LGBTQ.

9. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

In my RC Grammar school, run by nuns, we were told that Mary was chosen as the mother of Jesus because of her Immaculate Conception. That is the belief that she was the only person/female to have been born without Original Sin. She did not ever bear the sin that the rest of humanity was born with.

10. Mainwaring

Mainwaring Lead commenter

It's surprising how many people, including devout RCs, think the Immaculate Conception is the same as the Virgin Birth. A while back our Anglican group here in Andalucia was 'led' by an ultra protestant clergyman who always signed his emails 'with Christian greetings'. As the emails were often a tirade (copied round the chaplaincy) about some alleged misdemeanour by a member of the flock, this irresistibly reminded me of the phrase 'as cold as charity'. We worship in a little village church, where we are always treated with great warmth and courtesy by our hosts but the Reverend Mr Toad's sermons often included some sarcastic reference to RC doctrine or the image of Mary. At lunch after one such performance we greatly enjoyed watching him splutter and turn puce as we assured him that we all fully supported the doctrine of the Assumption.

11. install

install Star commenter

It seems to have different interpretations. Wiki states the following :

'In Roman Catholic Christian theology, the Immaculate Conception is the conception of the Virgin Mary free from original sin by virtue of the merits of her son Jesus. The Catholic Church teaches that God acted upon Mary in the first moment of her conception, keeping her "immaculate".[1][2] Other Christian denominations have a range of views on the matter.'

Again - I wonder how much of this is actually in the Bible itself.

12. Aquamarina1234

Not much. Most of it was invented by the various Councils.

Jamvic likes this.
  13. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

Even if it were all in the Bible it wouldn't make it true! How would anyone know about her supposed immaculate conception to be able to record it in one of the disparate documents that were combined to create the Bible?

14. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Star commenter

The bible is not meant to be literal.

chelsea2 likes this.
  15. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

Is that what billions of Christians around the world, and for the past 2k years, have been told to believe?

16. burajda

burajda Star commenter

Because Jesus asked his disciples to be 'fishers of men', that doesn't mean they went around with giant nets.

17. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Yes, but it's not something special to this school... as I said... most Christian schools will have something about shared Christian values.

18. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

One of the passages claiming Mary was a virgin when Jesus was conceived is in Matthew's Gospel, chapter 1:

18 This is how the birth of Jesus the Messiah came about: His mother Mary was pledged to be married to Joseph, but before they came together, she was found to be pregnant through the Holy Spirit.......

22 All this took place to fulfil what the Lord had said through the prophet: 23 “The virgin will conceive and give birth to a son, and they will call him Immanuel” (which means “God with us”).

Except in the verse from which this prophecy is taken (Isaiah 7 v 14), the word 'virgin' can also be translated 'young woman'.

Absolutely nothing about immaculate Conception or anything else about Mary. She barely appears in the story once Jesus is born.

peter12171 and install like this.
  19. install

install Star commenter

Agree - but with reference to this school and the article their 'shared Christian values' will not necessarily be the same 'shared Christian values' of other Christian schools. They are specific to the community of this school - not necessarily others.

20. Burndenpark

Burndenpark Star commenter

Just wondering abut this. Is it possible that what they were talking about got misted with time, so that the gradually rising sea levels became a sudden flood story?
    Humans were around 22K years ago to see this happening, and certainly were widespread with city states and settled communities by 5500 BC.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doggerland
    [​IMG]