1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What are "shared Christian values"?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by MAGAorMIGA, Jan 16, 2020 at 9:08 AM.

1. MAGAorMIGA

MAGAorMIGA Star commenter

https://abcnews.go.com/US/christian-school-expels-girl-rainbow-shirt-birthday-cake/story?id=68274078

Whatever they are, I'm not sure I share them with whatever this school thinks they are. A 15 year old girl has been expelled for wearing a sweater with a rainbow on it, having a multicoloured birthday cake, having an unconventional haircut and possessing an e-cigarette in school. Would Jesus have booted her out of the disciples for those offences?

Christians are meant to bear witness to the truth of their ideas through their exemplary behaviour. Does this school act as a great advertisement for the Christian faith? I think not.

ajrowing likes this.
  2. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

Jesus must be turning in his grave. Still, at the least the girl is out of the clutches of the intolerant, self-righteous, hate-filled bigots.*

*Bet they all voted for Trump.

3. Morninglover

Morninglover Lead commenter

Surely no real Christian could vote for Trump! All those who do are 100% hypocrites.

Laphroig likes this.
  4. MAGAorMIGA

MAGAorMIGA Star commenter

I thought the whole point of Christianity is that Jesus isn't in a grave!

5. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Star commenter

Who should real Christians vote for?

6. Aquamarina1234

I fully support the person and teachings of Jesus without accepting the existence of divinity. That makes me not a Christian but yep, he's spinning!

monicabilongame likes this.
  7. emerald52

emerald52 Star commenter

Trump is an evangelical christian apparently.

8. Morninglover

Christians I know would say 'I'd ask who Jesus would vote for' - and (if you read the NT) you'll know pretty much that he wouldn't vote for Trump.

9. Morninglover

He certainly wants their votes, but has he ever actually said he is one? Or has he acted like one?

10. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

Christianity is whatever you want it to be. So long as you "praise the lord" and keep topping up the coffers of whichever bunch of bible thumpers you have been sucked into. Any other method of extracting money from people under false pretences would be deemed criminal.

11. LondonCanary

You said that already. I was curious as to which candidate real Christians should vote for.

12. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

Watch "Greenleaf" on Netflix!

It's about a Memphis megachurch (fictional). It's an Oprah Winfrey production company drama. Needless to say, they are all thieves, adulterers, tax-avoiders. When they're not preaching!

MAGAorMIGA and Mathsteach2 like this.
  13. Aquamarina1234

"Love each other as I have loved you."

He didn't add "but not if they're LGBTetc." Maybe he did. Perhaps the evangelists were the original spin doctors. Selective editing. I would have to say his Dad doesn't appear to have lifted a finger to help them.

14. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

ER...he's not in a grave. That's what Easter is all about.

(Or are you winding us up?)

artboyusa, jubilee and burajda like this.
  15. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

You might be surprised by what some 'Christians' do.

16. Aquamarina1234

No.

Shedman likes this.
  17. sadscientist

sadscientist Established commenter

He identifies as a Presbyterian. His long-time friend and personal pastor, Paula White (now a paid White House staffer) is a bit more ... fundamental?

18. install

install Star commenter

Are religious schools really necessary?

19. LondonCanary

Priests, monks, nuns etc have to study for their qualifications somewhere. Not unreasonable.

install likes this.
  20. install

install Star commenter

What a pity they cannot help communities of all religions and no religions far more. Jesus did not have any qualifications.