1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What are scottish nationals 3 equivalent to?

Discussion in 'Scotland - curriculum' started by mbatten, Oct 19, 2017.

1. mbatten

mbatten New commenter

After advice/info -my stepson has come to live with us-he is 16 and has Scottish nationals 3 in English and Maths. Am I correct in thinking these are equivalent to about an F grade in GCSEs? If he was starting at a post 16 college in England I think he'd need to take English and Maths GCSEs but just trying to work it out. We're trying to give him a fresh start as he's had a bumpy ride in life so far. Any advice greatly appreciated.

2. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

I don't think National 3 is equivalent to GCSE even at a very low level.
    I found this:
    http://webarchive.nationalarchives....ifications-leaflet-rough-guide.pdf?Itemid=185
    Nat 3 is equivalent to the old Access 3 which is shown as below GCSE D-G.

If your stepson is 16 and has Nat 3s I think he would struggle with GCSE. To give an idea, Nat 3 English has no exam and is awarded for being able to read simple texts and explain the main points, write short functional texts (300 words) and talking and listening to a similar standard.

3. mbatten

mbatten New commenter

Thank you for this-that's really helpful x

4. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

You're welcome - I hope it all works out!