1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What are 'robots' doing on this forum?

Discussion in 'Welcome lounge and forum help' started by cathr, Dec 22, 2018.

1. cathr

cathr Occasional commenter

Just noticed the following in the box showing the number of TES members online: ''Total: 1,118 (members: 168, guests: 846, robots: 104)''

Who are the guests? Why are they (the guests) so many? What about the robots.....!!

2. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

'Guest' is anyone who is reading a TES forums page but is not logged in as a member. Anyone can read TES forums, it's a public site. You only need to be a member to post. So the 846 may include some members who have dropped by to, eg, read the latest post but not bothered to log in. But most will be non-members who have come across the site and are just reading what's on it.

Robots are the automated web crawlers that scour the WWW indexing content of websites for search engines. Someone with better knowledge than me of what they do will hopefully give you a better explanation.

JohnJCazorla likes this.
  3. cathr

cathr Occasional commenter

I feel reassured...

4. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

I could say that it's the tech for the new online learning platforms being trained, but that wouldn't quite be true.
    It's google and the like checking our words of inspiration, so that when someone says " help" it replies with what we've told others.