1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What are Q.A. systems?

Discussion in 'Senior Leadership Team' started by tafkam, Jan 23, 2012.

1. tafkam

tafkam Occasional commenter

I've been looking at a job advert today, and in the person spec it includes a requirement of "experience with Q.A. systems". I have no idea what "QA systems" might be. Can someone enlighten me?

2. tafkam

I've been looking at a job advert today, and in the person spec it includes a requirement of "experience with Q.A. systems". I have no idea what "QA systems" might be. Can someone enlighten me?

3. no one

no one New commenter

Don't know for definite but the first thing that sprung to mind was Quality Assurance.

Would that fit the job description?

4. If we advertised with QA it would mean quality assurance also, same as the respondent above.

5. tafkam

This is what I presumed.
    Next question: what would you mean by it?

6. COuld just say QA is effective monitoring....
    Ensuring standards and expectations in (moderation):
    lesson planning
    lesson observations
    assessment - students accreditation/coursework etc/IVing
    work scrutiny
    http://www.ltscotland.org.uk/Images/BtC5QAandModeration_tcm4-653228.pdf
    Not sure if this will help you (it has helped some of the teachers I work with in explaining the rationale of QA etc)

7. I would like to add to this thread because quality assurance is a key responsibility of SLT members and if asked about it at an interview, the interviewers would probably be looking for examples of how you have contributed to a school's QA processes in your current role.
    Two important areas to focus on in relation to the new inspection framework are differences in the achievement of different groups of pupils and differences in teaching quality. One thing to avoid is just talking about your systems. The questions that need to be asked are how do you know? what have you found? what have you done about it? and what was the result?
    QA is about being able to show that quality is even, both in teaching and its effect and in the progress made by pupils. Lesson observations should be undertaken using Ofsted criteria. You should be able to say what you do about the weaker teaching. If there is still weaker teaching a year later then that doesn't say much about leadership in this area.
    You should also be able to say how you use data, what it tells you and what you do about it. Don't think that having loads of graphs will support your case. It is so important to look at data, draw conclusions from it and then talk about interventions. Then you need to use data again to show that your interventions have been successful.
    This really is a key area for anyone on SLT or thinking of moving to an SLT post. Those with the leadership skills will be those who understand these issues and have a track record in contributing to a school's QA systems.

8. tafkam

Thank you for a very detailed response, angieHT