1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What are our rights with regards to CPD?

Discussion in 'Professional development' started by HappyPixie, Jul 21, 2011.

1. I don't really know anything about this, but feel rather annoyed so wondered if anyone else did - I was refused to go on a course I had found that matches my interests in teaching and future career - it wouldn't cost the school anything and they would receive the money (actually more than they would pay out) for a supply teacher to come in for the half day (which they wouldn't have used, as they try and use TAs where they can so could have just pocketed the money), but when I asked my head if I could go on it I was told no as it wasn't on the School Development Plan or in line with what the school needs to work on. I shrugged my shoulders and went on my way at the time, thinking this was jsut the way things go.
    I've since found out that an NQT in the school has been put on an MA course that involves time out of class on a reg. basis for classes and so on next year, I'm guessing because its to do with the blasted development plan.
    So I was wondering what 'right', if any, we have to CPD? Are we only allowed to access CPD that the school send us on, or in our own free time? Cheers

2. Dodros

Dodros Senior commenter

During my teaching career - I'm now retired - I can probably count on the fingers of one hand the number of times I was sent on a course by my school. Others may have enjoyed that luxury more frequently, but my reaction to that would have been to shrug my shoulders and say "that's life". Continuous professional development is indeed a right - and a personal responsibility - but going on courses in school time is a privilege, not a right.
    Start by showing you are serious about investing in your own professional development. Join a subject teaching association and attend its annual conference, which will likely be held partly in the school holidays. Read your association's professional journals to keep abreast of subject and methodological advances. If there's a local branch, see if they run weekend training sessions. See what your local authority or university has to offer in the way of courses. In my first years of teaching I did a part time MA in German and paid for the course out of my own pocket.
    Nowadays, CPD is tied to school development plans, as you have already found out, and your school will undoubtedly provide you with in-house training days focusing on SDP priorities. When you discuss annual targets with your line manager, you will have the opportunity to tie those targets to your training needs and then you may be in a powerful position to dictate what is necessary for your own professional development and to do your job better, naming additional courses that will help you meet your agreed targets. Instead of focusing on your individual agenda, see if you can link what you want to do with whatever the school's current priorities happen to be.

3. Cheers, I do already do a lot of the things you mention, I just wanted to know if we did have any rights as it were, as I was of the 'oh well' opinion, but then my nose got put out of joint lol.
    The problem is, my interests lie in ICT and my school don't give two hoots about it in any way or form (I've tried to look at it from the PoV of other subjects as well as general well-being, current SDP actual focuses (eg, Literacy being a big thing)) but they just don't want to know. Oh well, never mind, I'm planning on moving on asap so no biggie....

4. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

I assume you mean 'rights' that are written down somewhere - I'm afraid not. Your head has the responsibility to determine who does what and when, usually in relation to the school improvement plan. If what you are interested in doing doesn't tie in with that, you've no redress.

5. Cheers for the confirmation - I thought as much, but you never know - still annoying, but there you go :)

6. becktonboy

becktonboy New commenter

In terms of stuff written down, this might be of interest: part of the STPCD 2010 Section 2, under the general heading Rights Conferred - All Teachers:
    Training and development
    63.14 All staff in the school should have access to advice, training and developmental opportunities appropriate to their needs, including needs identified in objectives or in appraisal statements where teachers are subject to the 2002 Regulations, or in planning and review statements where teachers are subject to the 2006 Regulations, in accordance with the policies of the authority and governing body.

note the use of including, i.e. not exclusively.

7. becktonboy

becktonboy New commenter

also note that the reference is to the teacher's needs not the school's development plan, so unless the GB or LA have a policy restricting CPD to the SPD, you might have an interesting conversation with your head

8. becktonboy

becktonboy New commenter

whoops, SDP!!

9. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

it doesn't actually say 'So you can go on any course you fancy', however, BB - professional development comes in a range of guises and most is provided within school.