1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What are my rights to notice based on the wording on my contract?

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by Georgia99, Dec 7, 2011.

1. Georgia99

Georgia99 New commenter

I am covering maternity leave. My contract is temporary and under the section in the contract titled 'duration' it states that the end date of my contract will depend on when the woman concerned decides to return to her post.
    Under the section 'notice period' it states that I must give or be given 2 months notice before the end of term or 3 months if in the summer term.
    I am confused because the 'duration' section leads me to believe that my contract will end when she returns but the 'notice period' section suggests that I will need to be given 2-3 months notice.
    She intends on returning from leave in July
    <ol>[*]So am I right in saying that the school will need to give me 3 months notice by 31 May? Or can they just terminate my contract on her return with a weeks notice. [*]Can this notice be given verbally from the school or must it be in writing?Thank you.</ol>

2. Georgia99

Georgia99 New commenter

I am covering maternity leave. My contract is temporary and under the section in the contract titled 'duration' it states that the end date of my contract will depend on when the woman concerned decides to return to her post.
    Under the section 'notice period' it states that I must give or be given 2 months notice before the end of term or 3 months if in the summer term.
    I am confused because the 'duration' section leads me to believe that my contract will end when she returns but the 'notice period' section suggests that I will need to be given 2-3 months notice.
    She intends on returning from leave in July
    <ol>[*]So am I right in saying that the school will need to give me 3 months notice by 31 May? Or can they just terminate my contract on her return with a weeks notice. [*]Can this notice be given verbally from the school or must it be in writing?Thank you.</ol>

3. modgepodge

modgepodge Occasional commenter

No I don't think they can give you a month's notice - it's annoying for the school as she wll only have to give 1 month's notice but they have to give you 2 or 3 months. So she could say "I'll be back in a month" and they could say to you the same day "You have to leave in 2 months" and they'd have to pay you for a month they don't technically need you for.
    Not sure if it'll be 2 or 3 months if she wants to come back in July. I'm guessing 3....