1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What are my rights about having a student teacher in my class? What are my rights?

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by anon740, Nov 23, 2011.

1. I have been wondering about the rights about having a student teacher in a class. Recently the system with our college has changed and the teacher of the class is now called the mentor and has to observe the student each week and fill in an observation form. There is also a senior mentor who observes the student twice during the practice. There are training sessions for mentors.
    Funny that! As this is what the system was in my placement college (and the placement colleges of my PGCE students) when I was a PGCE student in 2004.
    Would I be within my rights to refuse to have a student teacher in my class?
    As the previous posters on here said, no-one can FORCE you to act as a mentor but you don't look good if you don't for the reasons that you gave.
    I have always been happy to, but these changes will add considerably to my workload and I'm not sure I want to take on the responsibility of observing and grading students.
    I appreciate where you're coming from as I had the same concerns when I acted as a mentor last year to a PGCE student who had to set up her own placement (with us), in addition to teaching and running the A-Level course practically single handed to over 100 students plus a tutor group of 26 students. However, I was quickly reassured after reading the handbook and talking to the student herself about what she was doing. I found that the simplest way of doing this was to just take rough notes in a book during the lesson and then fill in the form properly later on when I was less busy. Because of this, I found that my mentoring didn't add to my workload that much at all. In fact, it reduced it because she took over the PPA for some of my classes and gave me some good ideas for my own practice which made life easier. I'm now really pleased that I did it!
    Why don't you talk to her senior mentor about giving the student a timetable which is split between you and other members of staff, so that you can share the observing and grading load?
    HTH

2. YesMrBronson

YesMrBronson New commenter

MsBrainy,
    Off topic, but here's a tip:
    To quote another poster, highlight the text that you wish to refer to and press the "quote" button. This will then appear in a white box.
    [​IMG]

3. Thanks for that! I'm still getting used to the new TES format.

4. I'd love to have a student one day!
    Not least because I think I'd be a kind mentor....! [​IMG]
    But also because I think it would be a bit of a holiday! Sheesh, in later-on placements, you begin taking a few lessons a week, building to all English, then all Maths, then all of both, then EVERYTHING! And I absolutely loved my mentors who went off for days on end and did their own thing (probs sat in their offices picking their nose and reading the Guardian online!) because it was a fab learning and confidence-building experience. So. Someone else does all your planning, teaching and marking for several weeks and all you have to do is answer a few inane questions and do a few observations? YES, PLEASE! [​IMG]

5. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

LOLOLOLOL I so hope you work in my school when you get your first student!! Will be so much fun to watch you...

PS yes I do know you were kidding!

6. .........Someone to make my coffee.... Someone to do my assembly....!! [​IMG] xxx