1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What are my options

Discussion in 'Welcome lounge and forum help' started by tatkinson555, Jun 3, 2020.

1. tatkinson555

tatkinson555 New commenter

Hi I am two terms into my NQT year and on a fixed contract which ends in July. I am struggling to find a job what are my options at the moment? I am having to look outside the education sector.
    Am I eligible for unemployment benefits?
    It’s all a bit worrying with the current situation

2. Owleyes00

Owleyes00 New commenter

You don't say whether you want to complete your NQT year or not?
    If you are on a fixed term contract and don't find any new work, you will be eligible for universal credit. I would imagine you would also be eligible if you finished in July and started in September but this would probably be excessively complicated as it takes 5 weeks to process a universal credit claim by which time you would be in work. You would have to speak to someone at the Job Centre about this bit.

If you do want to complete your NQT year you should be applying to schools like you normally would as an NQT explaining in your application that you have one term left of NQT because you were on a fixed term contract.

If you don't want to finish your NQT year then, by all means, apply for other jobs

3. Marisha

Marisha Occasional commenter

I believe that the GTCS is looking to recruit more teachers, given the challenges which will ensue because of social distancing.

if you still want to teach, and you're prepared to move to Scotland, you might want to contact them and explain your situation.