1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What are my options?

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by pinksparkle82, Oct 8, 2018.

1. pinksparkle82

pinksparkle82 New commenter

I really could do with some expert opinions. Sorry it’s so long.

I’ve worked in my current school for nearly three years as a middle leader. It is a free school but has always followed stpcd. Earlier this year we were judged Inadequate by Ofsted due to issues with senior leadership and data. Since then we have had new SLT and a local outstanding school has got involved in ringing in changes.

The changes have been massive and have significantly increased workloads. Even as a HoD I only have 5 non contact a fortnight and I teach 300 students/11 classes. I have to take two clubs a week. The marking for Year 11 alone is 19 hours a fortnight based on expectations of setting two formal exam questions a week and having 60 year 11s. We also have to complete lots of additional admin and all lessons have to have specially formatted PowerPoints. All fellow HoDs have raised workload issues and we were told we’d just have to suck it up until we are no longer inadequate. When I spoke to the union I was publically vilified in a full staff meeting where all staff were told that me going to the union could cost everyone their job.

Unsurpisingly i am feeling the stress. I have underlying health conditions (covered by 2010 Equality Act) and they have flared up due to stress. I had my medications increased in Summer and I’m now having kidney issues. I’ve spent the last two weeks in Hospital having kidney treatments. I was signed back in by my consultant today.

I had my return to work and after I said I’d need an operation after Christmas was told that they don’t think I’m fit for work, they don’t want to refer me to OH, I’m only entitled to 2 months’ sick pay, they strongly suggest I got part time and drop my TLR to reduce stress. I have been asking for a better chair for two years and today was told they’d look into getting a back rest instead. It was even brought up at one point that maybe teaching isn’t for me if I’m ill. We left it with them saying they’d discuss what to do with me.

I’m so worried as I’m a single Mum and can’t afford any of their suggestions and I really don’t think they’d help anyway.

2. katykook

katykook Occasional commenter

Hopefully the legal experts will be along soon to give you advice. This sounds like discrimination to me you need to contact your union. Have the suggestions been made to you verbally? If so I would send an email for confirmation of what was said to you - at the least make a written record with dates. If any further suggestions are made to you send an email along the lines of Dear whoever, further to our conversation on .... can you confirm that etc. Don't have any meetings without a union rep or a friend and ask for it to be minuted. It could be constructive dismissal.

3. CWadd

CWadd Star commenter

"They suggested teaching isn't for me if I'm Ill. "

I'd also suggest giving you a diagnosis isn't their job as they're not medically trained.

Union. Now.

4. pinksparkle82

pinksparkle82 New commenter

Thanks for the replies.
    She wrote everything down we discussed so I’m going to ask for a copy of it and contact the union.

henrypm0 and agathamorse like this.
  5. ridleyrumpus

ridleyrumpus Star commenter

All of the above but also when talking to union bring up the anti union intimidation at a meeting.Disgusting

6. Bedlam3

Bedlam3 Star commenter

Very poor tactics. Make sure you keep a record of goings on.