1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What are 'media texts'? Urgent response needed - please!

Discussion in 'Media studies' started by arrrrrrrbee, Jun 12, 2010.

1. arrrrrrrbee

arrrrrrrbee New commenter

I know this sounds stupid, but what exactly is the correct definition of media texts? I'm thinking newspapers, magazine articles, adverts... I know we are supposed to be using multi-modal texts which are moving image as well... I have an interview next week in which I have to look at the purpose and effect of images in 'media texts' and I was going to make up a fab ppt. to help analyse images in a charity leaflet... but due to my nervousness at having to go for interview... I'm beginning to get confused over what media texts would be in English (Subject). Please can anyone clarify and confirm what I think I know?

2. arrrrrrrbee

arrrrrrrbee New commenter

I know this sounds stupid, but what exactly is the correct definition of media texts? I'm thinking newspapers, magazine articles, adverts... I know we are supposed to be using multi-modal texts which are moving image as well... I have an interview next week in which I have to look at the purpose and effect of images in 'media texts' and I was going to make up a fab ppt. to help analyse images in a charity leaflet... but due to my nervousness at having to go for interview... I'm beginning to get confused over what media texts would be in English (Subject). Please can anyone clarify and confirm what I think I know?

3. You are right - a media text could include a magazine, newspaper, brochure etc, as well as an advert, film etc. A good current topic would be the election campaign - pics of Brown looking insincere, bored etc, or framed by embarrassing words in the background. That way, yopu could also use moving image texts and there is TONS of stuff you can use. Don't worry - you've got it right.

4. PS definition from my media dictionary:

media text = any constructed media product or piece of communication, whether print or audiovisual, which can be analysed and deconstructed.
    It's a good dictionary (By David Probert) that would be a good purchase for you as it gives relevent definitions much more precisely than Wiki etc!

5. bob79

bob79 Occasional commenter

If it helps (it may not) think of a media form as radio, Tv etc and a text as being a 'product' of that form e.g. media form = magazine & text = FHM. Hope that helps clarify it, if not - sorry!