1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What are Cover Teachers allowed to teach in PE?

Discussion in 'Physical education' started by greenarmy21, Mar 28, 2011.

1. Can anybody point me in the right direction to find some guidelines on what cover supervisors are allowed to teach in Practical PE?
    We have had some issues recently but i think it's based on heresay so i'd like some official guidance.

2. It seems they can do anything as long as you have the head's permission!
    WE can't let girls out to practice with a netball unless we go with them but our cover teachers do badminton tennis rounders dance with no formal teaching or sporting qualifications.

3. stopwatch

stopwatch Occasional commenter

Unless you see specific WRITTEN guidelines from your head or LEA, you should decide what is acceptable.
    I wouldnt let them do e.g. gymnastics, rugby or anything with a higher level of risk, If that means the cover teacher does an activity which is not on your curriculum plan (rounders, table tennis) so be it.
    Talk to the cover teachers, find out their level of expertise or even qualifications (are you talking supply teacher or classroom teacher covering)
    If you put them on an activity and there is an accident it will be you who ends up to blame not your Head.

4. When I started work in the June that I had finished my PGCE I was still classed as unqualified and therefore could not teach gymnastics or the throwing events in athletics. Unless you are a qualified PE teacher or coach you should not be teaching these things in school. Obviously trampolining requires a special qualification as well. Other than that as far as I'm aware anyone can teach anything else.

5. stopwatch

stopwatch Occasional commenter

Swimming also has restrictions

6. funkygirl

funkygirl New commenter

As a HOD/DOS, I do not allow cover teachers to teach Gymnastics, Trampolining or any throwing events in Athletics. If it was on our curriculum I wouldn't allow them to teach rugby either. All other activities cover work is set.