1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What are Berkoff's 10 states of tension?

Discussion in 'Drama and performing arts' started by Steffi86, Jan 28, 2012.

1. Hi guys,

Just wondering if anyone could help me with Berkoff's 10 states of tension.

2. I do eight states of tension - must be missing two out!!??!!
    Email me on nwyllie@hotmail.co.uk and I'll send you them (the eight that I do that is) but if anyone can tell me which two I'm missing....might be useful!!!

3. I use these with 6th form.

4. How come Berkoff is a 'practitioner' all of a sudden? What has he introduced to us that hasn't been done before?

5. Retro Bates

Retro Bates New commenter

I don't think his practitioner status is 'all of a sudden' I define 'Practioner' to be a person or company that has had a lasting impact theatre.

Berkoff uses elements of Artaud, Brecht and LeCoq much in the same way as Simon McBurney and Complicite utilise Meyerhold in their work.

Nothing is written in stone. Theatre 'Practitioners' are akin to great scientists, they cannot exist without some guidance from their peers before them.

What I'm trying to say is .... Berkoff is absolutely a relevant practitioner and deservedly so.

'LETS PLAY A GAME OF NAME AS MANY PRACTITIONERS.

ONE AT A TIME ONLY .

NO REPEATS.

CHALLENGES ARE ALLOWED

6. Retro Bates

Retro Bates New commenter

STANISLAVSKI

7. SHAKESPEARE

8. GROTOWSKI

9. ANDRÉ ANTOINE

<font face="Times New Roman">DON</font>'T THINK SHAKESPEARE COUNTS AS A PRACTITIONER.