1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

what are ALL the transferable skills that Teachers have??

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by teachtronic, Jun 6, 2019.

1. teachtronic

teachtronic New commenter

i was in a discussion with a colleague who is looking to leave the profession after teaching almost 12 years. He mentioned he feels disillusioned with the profession, has done it now and was considering a career change. But having been in the education sector for a substantial time, it was difficult to realistically visualise what else he could do / the prospect of changing a career felt so daunting...so were his words.

Now as teachers we have a tremendous skill set and in a favour to him, i was hoping we could list all the transferable skills as teaching professionals, we have so that he could read and actually feel there is hope beyond the classroom.

please list!

2. frustum

frustum Star commenter

Managing multiple workstreams, prioritising, planning use of time.
    Presenting.
    IT skills
    Handling data.
    Managing people, predicting and forestalling conflict*, crowd control*.
    The obvious education/training skills.

I'm sure there are plenty more.

*I helped on a youth residential with few teachers. They thought I would be good at the teaching side of things. In fact, my biggest contribution was on foreseeing problems and forestalling them.

teachtronic likes this.
  3. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

Having moved into teaching from outside, I had to make my skills look transferable for my GTP application. The secret is looking at the job and person specification and then thinking about where you demonstrated those skills. Having retired, I applied for election work, and was able to illustrate things such as working with others, dealing with the public, working under pressure and prioritising work to get the jobs. I am not sure if boasting of my Maths skills helped me get work as a vote counter.

As for what to do, the first thing to think about is what your friend is interested in and then look through job adverts. It may be that something comes up which he has never thought of.

teachtronic likes this.
  4. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

Aldi managers and assistant managers are paid very well and get a car too. They are opening new stores all the time.