1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What are Aberdeen Cooncil up to now?

Discussion in 'Scotland - education news' started by Frecklefeatures, Jan 31, 2011.

1. http://news.stv.tv/scotland/north/224726-compulsory-redundancies-could-be-avoided-at-aberdeen-city-council/
    It's great, I love that they want to make working for the Council a constant source of surprise and bewilderment. Forgive me for being cynical, but what sort of ploy is this now, after placing a large amount of their staff under the stress of redundancy? I'm not holding my breath that anything will change, I'm more of the opinion that it is a combined effort by the SNP to make themselves look like the good guys/make staff so grateful for being allowed to keep their jobs that they will accept any changes to their working conditions/pay without a fuss.

2. halfajack

halfajack Occasional commenter

It's all a bit 1984! Who are we at war with again?

3. ScotSEN

ScotSEN Senior commenter

Its anybody's guess but the cynic in me agrees with your last sentence.

4. Did anyone go to the meeting tonight?I would have liked to but it didn't fit with childcare, and I would like to hear what was said.

L_M.xx

5. Original question still stands! In light of today's press release that they would be cutting 100 less PSAs, and will be going down the voluntary severance route rather than compulsory redundancies, is anyone else feeling much more secure and happy now? I'm just wondering what they're going to sneak in instead!

6. catmother

catmother Star commenter

Don't know about feeling more secure and happy but the entire school office staff seem to be considering going for voluntary redundancy or so it seemed,listening to coffee time conversations.

MsAnother likes this.
  7. Can anyone explain what the situation would be in a compulsory redundancy situation with permanent teachers if no-one wants to volunteer for redundancy? We have been told that in such a scenario, teachers who had been there a shorter time would be more likely to keep their jobs than those there a longer time. We were told a formula was used, but it was not explained what his formula is.

8. holdingon

holdingon Occasional commenter

surely the opposite would be true ?

9. ScotSEN

ScotSEN Senior commenter

The formula was in our school. Its quite complex but takes into account; qualifications, sickness record, disciplinary record which are scored and only if the points you get are equal with others who could also potentially be facing redundancy is length of service considered. Those with shortest service would be made redundant.

10. I may be wrong, but I think the 'pool' of potential redundancies is City-wide rather than just per school, so there's not much point sitting in the staff room trying to work out who would go, as if it's City-wide, staff are up against everyone. There could well be transfers all over the place of staff who are being retained, into positions which were occupied by staff who had less points than them.

11. Thank you. Who makes the final decision on the point scoring? The head teacher?

12. ScotSEN

ScotSEN Senior commenter

Can't remember the wording but it appeared that they would be looking at individual schools/services.