1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What are 10 things international school teachers want when looking for international school jobs?

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by stevenplatt, Mar 16, 2011.

1. What are 10 things international school teachers want when looking for international school jobs?

2. Karvol

Karvol Occasional commenter

Pay.
    Pay.
    Pay.
    Pay.
    Pay.
    Pay.
    Job satisfaction.
    Pay.
    Pay.
    Can't think of anything else...

3. What would define as job satisfaction?

4. Karvol

Good pay.

5. What about living standards, school standards, culture, experience, job prospects etc? Do things not matter?

6. tica

tica New commenter

Location, location, location.

7. Karvol

Of course they do. But they all come way down the list after pay.

8. Depends on the teacher and their circumstances.
    If single - I want to be in a place with some life, good social opportunities - ability to travel. Got a mortgage? - I want enough to pay towards it, live comfortably and enjoy my job. Have a family? - I want places for my kids (the school must be good enough for them!), safe place to live, flights home for us all, good medical cover. If ambitious I want somewhere that will give me the opportunity to move on up the ladder, where I won't stagnate. If closing on retirement, or already retired, I want somewhere where I can get on and do my (good) job without being worked into the ground. Most of all I want somewhere that matches my personal approach to teaching close enough that I feel I can do a good job, not have to worry about job security and not have to live hand to mouth because of low pay. What is acceptable to me, won't be acceptable to others, as I said at the start, it depends on the teacher.

9. 576

576 Established commenter

1. An interesting location where there are things to do & places to visit on weekends
    2. A location which makes visiting other countries during school holidays managable
    3. Sufficent pay for me to live comfortable and afford 1. & 2.
    4. Bearable weather/ climate.
    5. Supportive management & colleagues
    6. Teachable pupils

I seem to be stuck !
    Numbers 1,5 & 6 would also apply to any UK school I applied to.

10. I want more than that. Good weather/nice weather. Any climate is bearable.
    'Pay' is a good one.
    Responsive kids.
    Good colleagues.
    Bar in the staff room.
    Virgins at the press of a button.
    The usual stuff.

11. MisterMaker

MisterMaker Occasional commenter

If pay was the only motive we'd all be applying to Saudi. I've never applied there.[​IMG]
    Quality of life is far more important, hence so many people applying to SE Asia. [​IMG]

12. Karvol

When I left the UAE, a number of my colleagues jumped on to the BAE bandwagon and applied for jobs in Damman, most of them being successful. It seems a pleasant enough existence - well pleasant enough if you like living in a compound.

13. MisterMaker

MisterMaker Occasional commenter

Any school that does not offer Health Insurance of some form or other should be avoided. Contracts should clearly state who is responsible for repatriation should the worst happen.

14. Karvol

Outside Europe I would agree completely. However within Europe this is not always true. In Switzerland where I live it is up to the employee to arrange medical insurance and there is no state healthcare. In Norway where I lived there was no medical cover from the school. Everything was covered by the state.

15. Interestingly, my school does offer 'comprehensive' medical insurance, but unfortunately it does not cover the top providers in the city I live in - we have to co-pay 20% to go to the 'western standard' providers. My school has several 'franchises' in Asia and is generally thought of as being a good employer (I think!)
    To be fair, the rest of the package is excellent as is well advertised on their website. The 20% co-pay was introduced recently to new staff.
    Just another consideration, in any case...

16. 1. Paid well enough to have a comfortable existence.
    2. Related to No. 1, the cost of living / quality of life
    3. Travel opportunities
    4.. Ease of living
    5. Quality of school
    6. Responsive students
    7. A different culture
    8. Positive colleagues
    9. Health care availability
    10. Good accommodation

I've only had 2 international postings and have enjoyed all the above, albeit to a differing extent. Number 11: Not being in England.

17. 1. A good salary, so I can save a lot
    2. A warm, sunny climate
    3. A pavement culture and outdoorsy things to do within easy reach.
    4. Beautiful women (the dirtier the better)
    5. Decent English bookshops or a mail service that doesn't take months to receive stuff from Amazon.
    6. A modern infrastructure (i.e. fast Internet, roads without potholes and insane minibus drivers, and a city that doesn't look like an armpit)
    Students, staff and accommodation are important, but you don't usually find these out until you've started. 1 and 4 are mutually incompatible anyway; as are 2, 1 and 4: if you have a nice climate, you either get a low salary or ugly women or both. Few places could tick off more than 4 of these items and if they did, the salary would be low.