1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What annoys you when driving?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by peter12171, Oct 24, 2017.

1. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

There is no excuse for 4 people to go to the supermarket together.

One of the worst culprits in my local Waitrose has a mobility scooter, she drives along an aisle, parks at 45 degrees and gets out to reach the shelf.

Like you I shall reign myself in at this point, my required etiquette could become very expansive.

2. blazer

blazer Star commenter

If it is an automatic you have to keep your foot on the brake pedal to stop the car creeping forward.

3. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

I used to get annoyed by certain road abusing behaviours, now a days I mostly just get 'expected that . . . and sigh'.
    I do spend a lot of time in a Zen-like meditative state, sort of relaxed but hyper alert to what's going on around me, and do a silent running commentary in my head of what other drivers are about to do. You can nearly always tell, simply because there are so many 'tells'.

colpee and Calpurnia99 like this.
  4. elledriver

elledriver Lead commenter

Like there's no alternative to Drive.

peter12171, colpee and Duke of York like this.
  5. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

It takes some justifying for why I should accompany my sweetheart, or to be more precise, why she accompanies me. On my own, I'd be in and out with all we need in five minutes and be a hundred quid better off on each visit.

Norsemaid, colpee, kibosh and 2 others like this.
  6. Calpurnia99

Calpurnia99 Star commenter

Car share? Parent, non-driver parent, kids was our 4 to the supermarket.

7. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

Yeah, but you could have locked the kids in the car with a responsible adult and be back again with all the shopping you needed in a fraction of the time it took to gather the kids up and argue the toss with other shoppers about whether you were a fit person to raise them and have a go at me for clouting them when I'd had enough of them sucking on my shopping at the till.

It ain't rocket science.

If kids don't have money of their own to spend, what the fuque are the doing in shops?

8. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Together with the fact that putting the car in Park or Neutral, you are saving wear on the torque converter, which can be an expensive piece of equipment to replace.

9. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Admittedly a #firstworldproblem, but while we're on the subject of supermarkets and driving, I always try to park my camper van as far away from other cars as possible if I go to a supermarket, ideally in one bay with its bum overhanging some grass. This is because it's difficult to pull a vehicle that occupies one and a half bays in length and a full bay in width out of the middle of a packed parking area. Not impossible, but bloody difficult.

So, guess what happens whenever I park it well away from other cars? Correct, I'll return with my trolley to find a car parked so close next to it that I struggle to even open the side door to unload the shopping.

10. Didactylos4

Didactylos4 Star commenter

Having been a member of two large families (by modern standards as both contained 3 kids) I would beg to differ

InkyP likes this.
  11. Calpurnia99

Nobody ever took offence to our children in any situation. Silent or pleasant on train, bus or plane; inoffensive in restaurants (apart from breastfeeding); total strangers used to comment on how well behaved they were.
    That's because I never took them out without extensive prep and planning or another adult. That's why 2 kids and 2 parents worked in the supermarket.
    Jeez some citizens are never appreciative.

InkyP and Didactylos4 like this.
  12. Didactylos4

Didactylos4 Star commenter

I was obviously a less efficient parent:oops:
    They listened carefully to the preparation and then, all too frequently, totally disgraced themselves.

It must be a genetic failing as their children are much the same :D

13. Calpurnia99

Why do people do that? If I see that a person not good at parking has leant over the line, I b ...er off somewhere else on the grounds that if they're that rubbish at getting in, they might well scrape me getting out. If I see a large car in a standard bay, I park somewhere else. Anyone not doing the same needs some serious frowning at. Here's one: :mad:

magic surf bus likes this.
  14. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

Nothing like getting a serious frowning to bring one to heel.

Calpurnia99 likes this.
  15. Calpurnia99

It helps if the driver is actually in the car but I must admit that sometimes a serious frown is directed at the errr... machine.

16. blazer

blazer Star commenter

The point of having an automatic is you don't need to change gear! Doh!

17. Calpurnia99

Very timely comment. GD2 is an err.. assertive child. Commented in passing to her other Gran that I counted 3 tantrums in all my children's lives ever and that it's maybe an individual kinda thing. Other Grandma said dil was calm but her brother was tantrummy and we both agreed was Prob individual human difference.

Sadly offspring inferred it as criticism of selves as result of one and a half salaries being required to support family

#can't do right for doing wrong

18. marlin

marlin Star commenter Forum guide

I'm wondering what I've done to upset you all. :( I'm a very careful driver and love my new Audi A1. :)

19. Incommunicado

Incommunicado Occasional commenter

Driving (for many miles) along a section of motorway restricted to 50mph, with a comfortable braking distance between me and the vehicle in front; a large lorry behind me doing a steady 55mph gets nearer and nearer to my rear-end and then starts flashing me to go faster. Why do they do this? What do they think would be gained if I were to eat up the braking distance I am leaving? I am travelling just as fast as the car in front. I have no intention of shortening the said braking distance.

20. Incommunicado

Incommunicado Occasional commenter

Waiting at red lights on a main road for them to change so that I can then make my intended left turn. Why can't I (and others wishing to do the same) just go if there is nothing to stop me, especially if we are in a filter-left lane?

In Canada (where you drive on the right) you can virtually always turn right at crossroads or junctions if it is safe to do so even when facing a red light. There is substantially better traffic flow as a result.

peter12171 likes this.