1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What annoys you when driving?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by peter12171, Oct 24, 2017.

1. catmother

catmother Lead commenter

Exactly. Or that weird foggy,misty rain we get.

Flere-Imsaho likes this.
  2. Wotton

Wotton Established commenter

Yes but if you drive across the painted roundabout you prevent other cars from entering the roundabout and slow down the traffic. They are painted to allow buses and lorries access.

InkyP and wanet like this.
  3. wanet

wanet Star commenter

Yes, should be used exactly like any other roundabout.
    "188
    Mini-roundabouts. Approach these in the same way as normal roundabouts. All vehicles MUST pass round the central markings except large vehicles which are physically incapable of doing so. Remember, there is less space to manoeuvre and less time to signal. Avoid making U-turns at mini-roundabouts. Beware of others doing this.
    Laws RTA 1988 sect 36 & TSRGD regs 10(1) & 16(1)"

InkyP likes this.
  4. wanet

wanet Star commenter

just read highway code, only mention use in poor visability, in many cases that can also apply when it is raining.

5. asnac

asnac Established commenter

RAC on driving in the rain: "Don’t use rear fog lights. They can mask your brake lights and dazzle drivers behind you".

Creating uncertainty behind you is never a good idea. Better to just use regular lights, slow down, or if it's really heavy, pull over safely.

peter12171 and nomad like this.
  6. Mrs Grumpy

Mrs Grumpy New commenter

I hate mini-roundabouts ... because i always seem to be the only person actually going round them. I'm not very fond of cyclists, especially when /where they travel in herds, taking up more room than an articulated lorry, a sea of lycra'd backsides, legs pumping hard, and apparently no-one on "lookout". I hate most other drivers... and I hate myself, too, for being daft enough to be out there on that road, driving, when if I'd any sense I would be at home, reading a good book.

Mangleworzle likes this.
  7. wanet

wanet Star commenter

But have just read other advice that says if you can't see the lights of the car infront in rain then they should have them on so think about putting yours on. I think it depend upon how heavy the rain is.

racroesus likes this.
  8. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

The guy behind you isn't looking at your headlights. Headlights coming towards you should be dipped. I'm sorry, you are wrong; poor visibility isn't necessarily a reason to use rear fog lights rather than normal rear running lights.

drvs and nomad like this.
  9. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

I'm not saying they should be used only in fog. With visibility down to less than a hundred yards then turn them on but the argument from some here is about their use in less adverse conditions or simply in the dark.

drvs, peter12171 and nomad like this.
  10. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

My wife feels the same way... she hates driving... which is why I do all the long drives... and she offers helpful supportive tips*.

* ruddy passenger seat driver!

11. colpee

colpee Lead commenter

Nothing really. Music on, sing, keep my distance, give way to nutters, anticipate people making mistakes, pay no attention to angry TES posters and boot it on clear roads:rolleyes:

It is only hard work if you make it so.

lanokia, Duke of York and mrajlong like this.
  12. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

I presume you treat them as if they are actually roundabouts?

At the two I mention, the second is often ignored as if clearing the first means an automatic right of way across the next one. The worst culprits treat it like a straight piece of road where they have right of way and the other roundabout entries are side roads approaching a T-junction.

I can never work out if people don't know what to do or think if they proceed with confidence all will be well. The number of accidents and near-misses show that often all is not well.

13. JosieWhitehead

JosieWhitehead Lead commenter

Well, our main street is quite narrow, considering that they allow people to park all along the one side. So you get someone with a massive car - rather like a mini-bus - who will not pay 60p to park in the car park which is about 25 yards away, but lets his car stick out across the road way beyond the marks on the road. Then you get people who see a great big lorry coming down the other side and they're stuck between the two and praying that when they next open their eyes the nightmare will be over and perhaps the horror was just a bad dream. The one in the middle has been myself on occasions. Shouldn't people whose car/bus is too big to keep within the allocated parking space, be fined extra heavily?

14. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

Driving behind fog lights in anything other than fog or when it's snowing heavily can be really annoying, particularly in heavy rain.

I back off to leave a space in the hope someone will fill it and save me from the glare. Many drivers are less patient than I am though, so when the fog lights pi$$ them off, they are likely to overtake, often recklessly.

I've seen some idiots overtake fog-lit cars, then put on their own rear fog lights and brake lights to give the driver now behind them, a taste of their own medicine.

Something else to consider, is that as we age, our eyes become less able to cope with glare. We'd pass an eyesight test to determine if we're fit to drive, but they never do a test that simulates driving in the dark facing glare.

mrajlong likes this.
  15. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

I don't think anyone was upset, we just didn't agree with you.

mrajlong likes this.
  16. mrajlong

mrajlong Established commenter

Agree. Modern headlights are often so bright that anyone, no matter their age, can be blinded on an unlit road.

guinnesspuss likes this.
  17. mrajlong

mrajlong Established commenter

Go thank yourself :p

18. Bajan-night

Bajan-night Occasional commenter

Double mini roundabouts. Just what are they for?

19. dumpty

dumpty Lead commenter

Re the fog lights......reminds me of soon when it is dark coming home and you are in a jam or at lights how the person in front in an automatic car rarely, if ever, slips it into neutral and so blinds you just as much due to all the brake lights and fluffy dice extras staying on due to them using the footbrake.

Put it into that big N please.,especially when you know it will be a time before moving on (traffic lights).

20. dumpty

dumpty Lead commenter

I am convinced the insurance companies have paid for them so we all have minor accidents and lose our NCD.

I remember reading the approach to the Dartford Tunnel/Bridge (the pay booths) was the most stressful for any motorist - but these disasters of engineering must be up there, surely?