1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What annoys you when driving?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by peter12171, Oct 24, 2017.

1. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

In fog.

2. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

The light from your fog lights will be more intense than the reflected light from your dipped headlights.

3. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

I've just driven two hours down the A1(M) and two things...

The long lines of people who sit in the outside lane waiting to overtake a lorry 400m ahead... this is why undertaking happens. I've got clear road ahead and have to crawl along at 50 because they're all Richards.

The sudden 40mph zone south of Grantham that lasts 5 mins and has no reason to exist that we could see!

4. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

Correct, and I think that flashing lights and sitting waiting when the highway code doesn't demand it can lead to uncertainty and accidents. If we all followed the code I think driving would be safer, more pleasurable and less stressful.

InkyP and wanet like this.
  5. emilystrange

emilystrange Star commenter

not indicating, tailgating, undertaking, doing 50 in the outside lane of the dual carriageway, doing 30 in the inside lane, stopping in the box, undertaking going round the roundabout...

6. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

upload_2017-10-25_14-48-48.jpeg

7. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

Yes. Definitely not when its raining, as the wet roads reflect the glare.

When traffic grinds to a crawl on the motorway, you won't get past the hold up any quicker by constantly changing lanes. All that does is slow everyone down.

peter12171 likes this.
  8. blazer

blazer Star commenter

I often drive over mini roundabouts, that's why they are just paint on the road. The idea is to give way to the left like any roundabout, driving around them just wastes fuel and wears out your tyres.

9. blazer

blazer Star commenter

'Smart' motorways with variable speed limits. Especially the M25 where each gantry will have a different speed limit posted. So 60 then becomes 40 and then 100 yds further on becomes 50 and then back to 60 etc. Why? Just make it 40 all the way. Then there is the speed limit that is in place for a few miles and then it says 'end' and there was absolutely nothing on that stretch to justify the reduction, no traffic, no breakdowns, no accident, nothing!

magic surf bus and guinnesspuss like this.
  10. guinnesspuss

guinnesspuss Star commenter

Those awful blue headlights that make you think there's an emergency vehicle coming.
    People who only have one headlight working so that you can't tell whether it's a motorbike or a car; and, if it's a car, which light is working and hence how much clearance there will be.

11. guinnesspuss

guinnesspuss Star commenter

I agree. They're upgrading the M60 to a smart motorway and there are often miles without any sign of roadworkers.

12. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

Oddly enough, I am familiar with the highway code and was - as I posted - talking about poor visibility.

But it's nice of you both to inform others who may be ignorant.
    :)

guinnesspuss likes this.
  13. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

I used to do the M25 quite a lot and suffered the rush hour stops and starts, the times when it would unaccountably grind to a halt, then unaccountably speed up for a while. One day it was raining heavily, so vision was poor and the traffic had slowed down to around 20mph, but was constantly moving. The result? The journey took less time than usual.

14. Flere-Imsaho

Then I mean rear fog lights. Thanks!

15. Flere-Imsaho

As helpfully pointed out by the posters above who quoted the relevant section of the highway code, when visibility is less than 100 metres. That's not always going to be fog.
    I meant their headlights, not mine.

16. Calpurnia99

Calpurnia99 Star commenter

Clearly. Just out of interest, why did you wait 8 yrs to use your account?

17. asnac

asnac Established commenter

Then what alternative weather conditions do you mean? You shouldn't use them in rain.

nomad and guinnesspuss like this.
  18. mrajlong

mrajlong Established commenter

Eh? I'm an established commenter?!? Not a newbie and have been active on here for quite a while (have posted over 600 times). Did I come across as a troll, merely because I have defended my stance? I was ganged up on for an opinion that I share with many people (not on here obviously) and it was discussed just the other day on a popular radio station, so I am certainly not alone.

Can't believe how upset people have got because I simply expressed an opinion about what I consider to be poor manners. Sure, not as annoying as some of the other comments on here, but just a bugbear of mine is all...

Anyway, I back down graciously, with a thank-you (or not)

wanet likes this.
  19. Flere-Imsaho

I was thinking of fog and snow when I posted. I've often been very grateful for the driver in front having rear fogs on when driving in blizzard conditions. You don't want to come on someone unexpectedly and have to brake when the roads are slidy with ice and snow.

It's worth noting that the highway code rule about fog lights is from the "adverse weather" overview rather than the specific section on fog.

catmother likes this.
  20. catmother

catmother Lead commenter

Sounds as if other posters have never experienced driving on a country road in the north-east of Scotland! In the driving conditions we get uphere,I'm very grateful that the drivers ahead of me have got their rear fog lights on.

Flere-Imsaho likes this.