1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What annoys you when driving?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by peter12171, Oct 24, 2017.

1. asnac

asnac Established commenter

Rule 226 defines seriously reduced as <100 metres. This means very thick fog.

peter12171, guinnesspuss and nomad like this.
  2. mrajlong

mrajlong Established commenter

Wow! EVERYONE I know finds this annoying (I must know a lot of intolerant people). I always thank the person that has had to brake, change gear and wait for me to cross the road to get my 4-pack of Corona!! All I've gotta do is raise a hand or nod. Next people will be telling me they don't get annoyed when another motorist doesn't thank them when you have waited for them or let them out of a side road etc...it's not expected after all.

3. Wotton

Wotton Established commenter

Drivers who don't know how to use mini roundabouts and those who drive straight across meaning everyone else has to wait.

wanet and InkyP like this.
  4. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

People who stop on main roads to wave you out at a junction, when you're turning right. And sit there, wondering why you won't move. That's because someone is batting down on the inside and you're waving me on to certain death. No, you're not doing me a favour!

5. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

That's completely different as it's not required by the Highway Code.

6. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

I had to drive a lot of miles over a 12 year period, so encountered all of the above all of the time. You reach a stage when it becomes an irritating expectation rather than an annoyance. There's nothing you can do about it other than keep your calm and your eyes peeled.

If there is anything that does annoy me, it has to do with poor road layouts, particular at roundabouts, because that's avoidable.

SUV cars, designed such that they block other drivers' vision ought to be banned, as should the arrogant people who buy them. If I was a copper, I'd keep pulling them over for spot checks and minor infringements until the drivers twigged and bought a smaller, sensible car.

thatmaninthehat likes this.
  7. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Lead commenter

How long a list do you want?
    In London i have a pet loathing for BMW and Merc drivers who dive like demented folk with little consideration of anyone but their own ego.
    Cars with super bright headlights which blind you because they are incorrectly adjusted......or the idiots of the same ilk who drive up motorways with full beams on either behind me or on the outside lane.Invariably Chelsea tractors or their kin.
    Queus on motorways in which some driver considers leaving a 100 yard gap between him and the car in front as the norm instead of moving forward.
    The Blackwell tunnel at busy times when cars/vans force their way into gaps..leave an inch and they take yards!
    All the way down to the tunnel you see this......or rush up an adjacent lane and then squeeze themselves in at the end.Their smile as saving time in 30 sec is a joy to behold..not!
    the middle lane dwaddler......all ages and sexes ..who simple wont move forcing you to undertake at times as the outer lane is chocka full.
    The cyclist, who has a lane, and decides the car one is faster and travels at well over the speed limit because they can and want to be to next Olympic winner. trouble is the shout at the drivers.myself i want a self openeing door that open in front as they go past.Should stop them in their tracks The young men around here who delight in cycling up the wrong side of the road towards you with no hands on the handlebars.and never get stopped by police. or do the same at night with no lights on. The cyclist at \ juntion the other day
    came up cycle lane and went to her box in the lights.I thought maybe she was turning right as she was plonk in front of cars in the middle.She didnt indicate.Then, when lights change, ,deliberately went slow and straight ahead and then suddenly turned left.Thereby annoying the car driver who called her some very nasty name.Fortunately he had enough grace to not run her over as he turned the same way as her.
    Of late the aggressive scooter drivers seeking to overtake you on both side , stopping in front of you sort of daring you to complain.I would prefer to run them over with the car but I don't want to pay for the repairs.
    My grandad used to say 'treat every other driver on the road as an idiot'.I practice that , and just let them get on with it.
    Ps dislike the idiots who zoom past horses on road with no consideration and those who park on double yellows right on the corner of a road..usually delivery drivers!

8. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

There's far less that annoys me these days now I very rarely have to be anywhere at a particular time and can time almost every journey to avoid rush hours.

However:

Most 4x4's, far too big, too high so you can't see past them at junctions, the drivers often aren't sure where the vehicle ends and give themselves too much room.
    :D

Women motorists who don't let me out when it's a situation when men often would. I often let people out or go first in all manner of situations, I have noticed over many years that if someone does the same to me, they are 99% likely to be male, women just don't seem to let men out, but they do let other women out.

Very specifically an idiotic double mini-roundabout near where I live that many motorists treat as if they have right of way coming down the hill and can drive across the middle of both of them. The clocks are going back soon and the accidents will start again.

Lorries - all lorries, at any time.

9. mrajlong

The title of the thread is "What annoys you when driving?" NOT "What annoys you when driving that breaks the highway code?" Gee..I thought this was gonna be a light-hearted little moan thread...not a driving test! You live and learn :(

peter12171 likes this.
  10. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

Indeed. A sin worthy of the depths of hell.
    I have a great dislike for farmers driving tractors and trailers for miles, slowly, at rush hour.

11. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

And who overtake me in queues in my lane.

12. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

The planetary outlet for effluvia fifteen minutes up the motorway who is causing the tailback I am in.

13. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

But you aren't doing them a favour.

InkyP likes this.
  14. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

90 twenty years ago? No R plate limit to 45?

15. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

Just giving my point of view. Some things annoy me but that doesn't.

16. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

You shouldn't go on indicators without manoeuvre; sometimes the manoeuvre doesn't follow the indication.

17. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

You could have made the turn off faster if you had pulled out to the opposite side to the turn off and then swung in.

18. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

They should thank you for obeying the law and not running over them? They should thank you for walking past their house and not breaking and entering?

InkyP likes this.
  19. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

Rear lights are rear lights when you turn lights on but fog lights on the rear are extra and very bright.

peter12171 and Oscillatingass like this.
  20. mrajlong

So was I...

This is possibly the stupidest argument I have read on this forum...and there have been a lot. Don't think I'll be checking back in to this thread...it's all gone a bit pear-shaped. Laters!