1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What annoys you when driving?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by peter12171, Oct 24, 2017.

1. drvs

drvs Lead commenter

People not indicating at roundabouts are probably the most irritating to me as they stifle the flow of traffic.

Most dangerous thing I see regularly here is people going the wrong way down the 2 lane one way system and (vans) doing a right turn from the left lane of the one way system. Been a few nasty manglings here as a result of those.

This one I view the other way round ... when everybody merges too early into one lane, they turn two lanes of traffic into a double length single lane tailback. If everyone would flow up both lanes and merge in turn properly, the tailback would be half the length.

racroesus and vannie like this.
  2. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Aye... agreed.

But you get those folks who then stick out into the other lane to stop people... or lorries that just plain block the whole lane.

So either way it results in irritation for someone...

drvs likes this.
  3. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

I'd put fog lights on in any poor visibility, especially if you can just put the rear ones on.
    :)

4. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

Tail lights, yes. Fog lights no. They blind the driver behind you.

peter12171 and racroesus like this.
  5. Flere-Imsaho

I think when you say tail lights, it's what I mean by rear fogs.

6. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

Also (and moreso) emergency sirens on the radio.

I've never smoked and hate this anyway but had never thought about that. :eek:

You are obliged to stop, they don't have to thank you although I often give a wave it's not required.

I hate people who drive straight over mini-roundabouts. There is a busy one near me and I don't know how people have not been killed, some drivers don't even lower their speed.

nomad likes this.
  7. drvs

drvs Lead commenter

Do you leave them on when there's a car close behind?
    :)

8. smoothnewt

smoothnewt Lead commenter

I especially agree with comments about drivers not signalling and then turning left off a roundabout, thus slowing the flow of traffic.
    You'd think they'd be fed up of having this happen to them, and therefore use their indicators, but apparently this logic doesn't work.

Has anyone else noticed how on so many cars these days, indicators seem to have been relegated to some kind of minor design accessory, rather than a crucial piece of safety equipment on a car? I find that on many makes of car the indicators are really difficult to spot. Although I dislike Audis and their drivers for the most part, I have to confess that their indicators take top marks for visibility and effectiveness.

9. smoothnewt

smoothnewt Lead commenter

People who sit in queues of traffic with their foot on the brake, so that at night time the brakelights dazzle you as you sit behind them in the queue. Why not simply put your handbrake on?

peter12171 likes this.
  10. zizzyballoon

zizzyballoon Star commenter

I have no idea how to drive but I get the heebie jeebs travelling as a passenger. I am always sure that cars coming from side streets will crash straight into the side of the car I'm in.:eek: I feel far safer on buses and trains.

11. Flere-Imsaho

The whole point of them is to make me visible in poor conditions. I'm not talking about driving in town. If there's anyone that close behind me, their own lights would be stronger than mine.

12. drvs

drvs Lead commenter

That's not really how light works.

13. Flere-Imsaho

No?
    Do go on...

14. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

People who can only drive at 40 miles an hour. On my route home there is a National limit stretch before a 30 mph. I get stuck behind these drivers when they refuse to go over 40 in the National, then they leave me behind when we hit the village and the limit drops. Speed limits vary - if you can't handle that, you shouldn't be driving.

Tailgaters stress me out. They also cause me to slow down. If they aren't leaving the appropriate stopping distance for that speed, the speed needs to drop.

15. Oldfashioned

Oldfashioned Occasional commenter

People who don't leave a gap on the motorway and wonder why the traffic comes to a halt when others join it!
    People who don't join the motorway at actual motorway speed.
    People who think their indicator is magic and means I must slow down or move lane to allow them to move. Not that they should make sure it is clear and they are up to speed before moving.
    People who move into the outside lane when they are nowhere near the speed of the traffic there, this causes massive hold ups from the ripple effect.
    People who choose the right hand lane on dual carriageways, despite never going fast enough to overtake anyone!
    As above with every set of lights!
    People who try and stop motorcyclists from filtering.
    People who have no patience with cyclists.
    I could go on but I'm getting angry.

16. blazer

blazer Star commenter

You never know when you might need a new organ!

17. nomad

nomad Star commenter

The Highway Code says that you should only use your fog lamps when the visibility drops below 100m. If you're not sure when that is, a good rule of thumb is to work out whether you can see the tail lights of the car in front of you. If you can't, you (and they) should probably be using rear fog lamps.

Front fogs are rarely a nuisance to other drivers. If properly adjusted they are angled down and to the side since their purpose is to make the road edge visible. If angled forward they would just illuminate the fog and blind the driver.

Rear fogs should not be used if the traffic behind you is visible and certainly not if their use may dazzle the driver. Also, their unnecessary use can mask the brake lights giving you a far greater chance of being rear-ended.

18. blazer

blazer Star commenter

You should come and live by us. The roundabout lanes were designed by someone on work experience. Lanes that suddenly end in hatch mark,. or are marked left only but go all the way round the island. Or they have lights on the island so that if you want to go right you end have no chance to change lanes as you go round and end up having to swerve across 2 lanes to exit (Unless you are a local then you go round in the middle lane regardless of the arrows).;)

19. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Last year on the local by pass (70mph) we were following a minibus when a golf ball bounced towards us and went under (luckily) the car. This was followed by several more golf balls. They were yellow balls and we had just passed the driving range. I over took the bus and it was unmarked but full of kids with a couple of adults in the front. I assume it was a school bus but the school was not marked on the bus (we were in term time) In the mirror we could see more balls leaving the bus through the side windows. At the end of the bypass we allowed the bus to pull alongside us and told the driver what had been happening. All we got was abuse from the kids in the back. So we took the number and called 111 when we got home. Not sure if anything happened.

20. asnac

asnac Established commenter

Highway code:

Rule 236
    You MUST NOT use front or rear fog lights unless visibility is seriously reduced (see Rule 226) as they dazzle other road users and can obscure your brake lights. You MUST switch them off when visibility improves.

peter12171 and drvs like this.