1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What annoys you when driving?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by peter12171, Oct 24, 2017.

1. calamansi

calamansi Lead commenter

tailgatingl
    Duke of York, you seem to have anger management problems....

2. Jolly_Roger1

Jolly_Roger1 Star commenter

When i rode a motorbike, i hated drivers who tossed lighted fag butts out of the window, which would then hit me.

3. install

install Star commenter

Back seat drivers..:eek::eek::eek:

4. Laphroig

Laphroig Senior commenter

Tractors who don't pull over.

Dragonlady30 likes this.
  5. SleighBelle

SleighBelle Occasional commenter

There's one particular mini-roundabout on my drive home that often makes me tut. Too many drivers approaching from my right, turn left without indicating. I daren't pull out, just in case they are going straight on. It's a small thing, but annoying after a long day at work.

bombaysapphire likes this.
  6. peakster

peakster Star commenter

People driving at dusk with full beams

Tailgaters

7. asnac

asnac Established commenter

Idiots who drive slower than me. Maniacs who drive faster than me.

8. peakster

peakster Star commenter

People who pip their horns loudly about 0.1 of a second after traffic lights change if you haven't moved.

Drivers with no patience generally

JosieWhitehead and Dragonlady30 like this.
  9. mrajlong

mrajlong Established commenter

People who don't say thank you at a zebra crossing. So rude and makes me wanna hit the accelerator.

JosieWhitehead and peter12171 like this.
  10. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Cyclists who think you've passed by too closely and then bang on your window as they go past. One idiot last year grabbed my wing mirror as he went past and nearly broke it. Then he gave me a cheery sign.

The next one that does that I'm going to report to the cops

Dragonlady30 likes this.
  11. Sillow

Sillow Senior commenter

People who can't do lane management, especially at roundabouts. The lanes are clearly marked, I'm in my lane and yet you want to drift into my lane?! Get in the right one in the first place, idiot.

People who sit in the middle lane when all the lanes are clear meaning I have to change lanes to overtake.

People who let you out to overtake after you've indicated but who sit too close and don't flash their lights so you're not quite sure if they are going to let you out or not.

People who pull out into my stopping distance so I have to back away from them.

The idiot who pulled off the motorway behind 17-year-old me after I got too scared doing 90 because he was right behind me, so I slowed down to move over. He clearly didn't like the fact I'd braked and slowed to about 75 to pull in, flashing lights at me, followed me up the next slip road (I took to get away from him) and then sat next to me at the traffic lights (longest 2 minutes of my life), with me ignoring and gently leaning on the central locking, petrified. Then he pulled away quickly as the lights went green, swerving straight into my path. Fortunately I was going very slowly. He rejoined the motorway, I drove round the roundabout a few times to try and let my heartbeat settle. I'd been driving about 8 months. Worst road rage I've personally known. I still remember it in detail, nearly 20 years later.

12. Calpurnia99

Calpurnia99 Star commenter

All the above except mrajling's. It's their right of way. They've no reason to be grateful. It oils the wheels of civilisation if they nod or smile but I for one don't expect it.

My additional gripe is hesitation at a busy roundabout. I suppose it's better than recklessness but in the rush hour... I could have swum into that gap... for God's sake MOVE!!!

racroesus likes this.
  13. peakster

peakster Star commenter

I had something like that very recently - I pulled off an A road onto a minor road that is a short cut to school. The guy behind me obviously thought I'd gone too slowly negotiating what is virtually a 90 degree junction and held him up by a second so after I'd turned off he swerved off the road, turned his lights full on and tailgated me for about half a mile. Eventually I got fed up and stopped - he also stopped.

When I got out of the car and walked towards his vehicle he took off and drove past me with a clearance of a couple of feet.

It was a stupid thing to do on my part - there was nobody around and if he had been a violent nutter I could have been in trouble.

I wrote down his number plate and called the police when I got to school.

Haven't heard back from them.

14. peakster

peakster Star commenter

People like that shouldn't be driving - a cyclist was run down by an angry motorist last year not far from where I live - despite police appeals the driver was never caught.

15. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

There's a small island I have to use a lot and this is so common - come on people - I'm in the inside lane coming round the island and I'm indicating left because I'm coming off just THERE. You've got to STOP. Just because you've had to crawl up the high street and now are on your way to the trunk road doesn't mean you can drive on through this junction.

16. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

Drivers using their mobile phone as they drive, sometimes turning, using their free hand only.... :eek:

17. peakster

peakster Star commenter

People who own tank size vehicles but don't know how to drive them.

InkyP and FrankWolley like this.
  18. mrajlong

mrajlong Established commenter

Your expectations of basic human etiquette are apparently very different from mine

19. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

Nothing. What would be the point. I don't expect I am a perfect driver. I know I am safe as I never had a problem with my MIDAS tests but life is too short to get riled about driving. However I never exceed the speed limit and it's clear that other drivers find that frustrating.

JosieWhitehead likes this.
  20. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Yes absolutely...

There's a roundabout near us which is three lanes but the vast majority of drivers can't handle that and manage two lanes. When using it I'm always super cautious.

They need to paint the lanes clearly onto the roundabout.