1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What annoys you when driving?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by peter12171, Oct 24, 2017.

1. uberman

uberman New commenter

In no particular order:

The 20% club, who insist on ALWAYS driving 20% below the marked speed limit.

Lorries who insist on overtaking a group of other lorries at a fractionally higher speed and taking an age to do so.

People (usually 20%ers) who pull out on fairly quiet motorways to overtake the car that’s about quarter of a mile ahead of them, making you have to slow down.

Cyclists - particularly those who sail through traffic lights as though they weren’t there and those who ignore cycle lane.

Motorbikes who insist on travelling between lanes and quite often appear out of nowhere.

People who don’t realise that they should give way if they have to when coming on to a motorway from a slip road.

People who don’t even attempt to get up to motorway speed on a slip road.

People who can’t park properly. Particularly those who park slap-bang in the middle of two spaces so that there’s no chance of their car getting dinged.

People without children who park in parent and child spaces. I’ve found myself asking if they’ve realised where they’re parking when I see them now. Rude, selfish and inconsiderate.

I’m sure there are more, but that’ll do for now...

Shedman and magic surf bus like this.
  2. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Senior commenter

People who buy a large car, typically a 4x4, but can't manage its dimensions. I saw one such man this morning trying to reverse into a parking space and holding up all the traffic, going backwards and forwards with his ridiculous vehicle. And he wasn't very well parked by the time he actually finished,. There should be a special test to pass for vehicles over a certain size. They nearly always seem to be driven by people with no spacial awareness or dexterity.

3. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Ah yes, the good old leafy suburb morning slalom, with the more challenging courses situated close to independent schools in my experience. :)

smoothnewt and thatmaninthehat like this.
  4. peakster

peakster Star commenter

People who despite having hundreds of spaces to choose from deliberately park in the most awkward space possible requiring many attempts to get into that space and so have motorists stuck in very vulnerable positions while they d**k about.

People who drive massive vehicles who can't park as detailed above.

5. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Or people who don't maintain their vehicles properly. I've seen numerous vehicles this week with only one working headlight - so dangerous - get a bulb.

Worst one was yesterday - it wasn't completely dark but the car in front had lights only on one side of the car.

6. elder_cat

elder_cat Occasional commenter

1. All those people who think for some reason, they are the only ones who know how to drive, and therefore we should all drive as they do.

2. All those people who refuse to accept that driving within the speed limit, can make the difference between causing serious injury and killing someone.

wanet likes this.
  7. lrw22

lrw22 Occasional commenter

Poor signalling. Being overtaken when my speed is bang on the speed limit for the road.

8. sparklepig2002

sparklepig2002 Star commenter

Folk who don't acknowledge you or say thank you when you let them out of a side road. Lack of common courtesy and good manners. :mad:

peter12171 likes this.
  9. silkywave

silkywave Occasional commenter

People who let their car door smash into the car park next them. I.e. my car.
    Obvious ones such as drivers overtaking everyone when it is obvious a lane is closing or merging. Pushing their way in while others are filtering patiently at the back of the queue.
    Drivers, mostly younger drivers, who steer using the palm of their hand not holding the wheel at all.
    A driver or several that managed to park in the park and ride and block most cars in, leaving a big empty space in the middle, so the car park was half empty but full ! I guess they were racing to catch the bus and didn’t give it a thought.

10. silkywave

silkywave Occasional commenter

AND ....this just happened to me, when I am turning left at a T junction someone behind me pulls up to my right, to turn right and blocks my view to right. Why can they not stay back a little so I can see, then it’s their turn .

smoothnewt likes this.
  11. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

Cars joining a motorway. You are in the inside lane and a car comes down the slip road. There is a reasonable gap that they can safely fit into if they maintain their speed so you maintain your speed but then they slow down so you slow down to maintain a gap for them and then they slow down more and so on. These drivers are a menace. When joining a motorway maintain your speed and if necessary accelerate to join the flow of traffic.

wanet and peter12171 like this.
  12. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

Yes, I detest those drivers who think the speed limits don't apply to them. I give a little cheer every time I see a speed camera flash a speeding motorist.

13. smoothnewt

smoothnewt Lead commenter

My road is like this: the junction widens a little and you can, if the positioning is right, have two cars alongside one another, one turning left and one turning right.

Turning right is challenging as you are entering a busy road, so I have to confess that, to avoid the scenario you outline (only to turn right rather than left), I have taken to positioning myself right in the centre of the junction so that no-one can pass to the left. That way I can make my right-turn manoeuvre safely, and with good visibility. Selfish, I know, but I've decided it's the only way.

14. scienceteachasghost

scienceteachasghost Lead commenter

'Snailing' - drivers driving too slowly for the road conditions and holding everybody up.

Drivers on phones - should be a long ban, no exceptions.

Idiot drivers that drive far too quickly for the road conditions and put everyone else at risk.

15. blazer

blazer Star commenter

The Psychotic lorry driver who decided that he had to overtake me on the M5 even though he was only doing half a mile an hour faster than me, then just as his rear wheels were adjacent to my window decided that he had had enough and just swerved into my lane.

Then there was his mate who instead of trying to pass decided to sit on my rear bumper flashing his main beams into the car even though we were in road works with a 50 limit. Flashing my rear fog lights seemed to do the trick next thing I knew he was a long way behind!

16. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

The peabrain in the Range Rover who was treating the A34 near Alderley Edge like a high speed slalom the other morning because he'd obviously left his house 20 minutes too late.

17. Norsemaid

Norsemaid Occasional commenter

What annoys me when driving ? Other people driving , pedestrians, roads!

Big lorries that suddenly change lanes on roundabouts so that the rear end of their lorry swings out and nearly takes you out !

Drivers with new cars that don't use indicators .

18. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Just this morning in Sainsbury's car park - tiny woman driving alone in a massive 4 x 4 - parked it 6 feet out of the parking bay, right behind our car so I could barely reverse out. I shouted at her to come and park it properly but she ignored me. It took my wife and I about 10 minutes to get our car out without touching any other vehicle - I was really cross.

So I got a pencil out of my car and let most of the air out out one of her back tyres (hope the CCTV doesn't spot me)

19. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

We have a crossroads locally that bisects a very busy main road. It's controlled by traffic lights, which obviously favour the main road, so if you're joining g from the minor roads, you have to wait a little longer.

There was a BMW driver in front of us, who decided the red light didn't apply to him and shot through it. Unfortunately for him, the car on the major road at the front of the queue was a police car, who immediately did a u turn and shot after him.

We had a little moment.

There was also the driver who intended to park in a disabled bay at Sainsbury's, but instead of driving down one lane and up the next to find a space, decided to drive across the pedestrian walkway between the two rows of parking. Just as I was walking down it with my shopping. I reminded him that it was a pedestrian walkway, not for drivers and he told me it was OK because he had seen me. Really no- your driving was dangerous and inconsiderate.

20. Norsemaid

Norsemaid Occasional commenter

Sounds like the same lorry driver I had @blazer . I was shaking after my encounter with him .