1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What annoys you when driving?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by peter12171, Oct 24, 2017.

1. elledriver

elledriver Lead commenter

A bit selfish that people have to be dazzled because you can't be bothered to use the shifter

Mangleworzle and wanet like this.
  2. Stiltskin

Stiltskin Occasional commenter

I don't think you've considered the dangers of not using the parking brake in an automatic. Your foot could easily slip off the footbrake if, for example, your shoes are wet or if you’re bumped from behind. You could then be pushed into another vehicle, a pedestrian, or out into the junction if you are in front. Similarly using the parking brake will avoid the possibility of 'creep' or moving forward if you accidentally press the accelerator.

The advice given for passing driving tests (and advanced driving courses) is for all vehicles (but they do highlight particular importance for automatics):
    You should normally apply the parking brake whenever the vehicle is stationary.

Apply the parking brake and put the gear lever into neutral when you’re stopped at traffic lights or queuing behind other vehicles, unless the wait is likely to be very short.

wanet likes this.
  3. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Truly there is a hell.

4. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

Always remember the fools on the road just as they always should remember the fools on the road.

5. Jolly_Roger1

Jolly_Roger1 Star commenter

Roundabouts in towns that have a zebra crossing across each road entering them, sometimes two very close to each other.

6. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Its called a parking brake for a reason. The one on my car is foot operated.

7. Stiltskin

Stiltskin Occasional commenter

[​IMG]

8. Grandsire

Grandsire Occasional commenter

I just wanted to say something positive about other drivers in my area, after all the moaning I did earlier in this thread: the local speed trap was in place this afternoon - at the bottom of a dip between two hills, catching people as their cars pick up speed downhill. I'm a bit cynical about this being used as a cash generator for the police, especially as the van usually only comes out when there's something like a festival or exhibition on in the area so they can catch people who don't know the area coming off the motorway network onto the A-roads.

Happily, there was plenty of community spirit around today, as I was given warning flashes of headlights by five or six different drivers before I got anywhere near the speed trap site. Apparently this is officially an offence and people using their headlights like this can get fined for it, but it hasn't stopped drivers looking out for each other.

Cheers, guys!

9. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

In parts of Europe it's not uncommon to see these signs on quite long stretches of motorway:

[​IMG]
    This means you don't get the UK phenomenon of the speed governed lorry travelling at 56mph being overtaken for half an hour by another speed governed lorry travelling at 56.00001mph. There are also higher speed limits for lorries in some European countries which prevents long convoys forming in the areas where they can overtake each other. I sometimes wonder if in this country we're shooting ourselves in the foot by restricting lorry speeds. I know it's more fuel efficient to drive at 56mph but I can't help thinking that letting our lorries spread out a bit might ease some of the problems. Then again, compared to many parts of Europe we have very crowded roads already.

peter12171 likes this.
  10. peakster

peakster Star commenter

....and generally better drivers (on the whole)

..except the annoying woman near us who drives a Mitsubishi Tank (badly) and just expects everyone to get out of her way on the basis that if a vehicle that big and travelling that fast hits you it would kill you or destroy your car.

She's had two accidents I know about in the last 18 months - in one she rammed a van from the side because she didn't bother to stop at a road junction and the other she hit a stationary vehicle because although there was insufficient room to get through she thought she'd do it anyway.

She's a menace.

11. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

I'm not so sure - when we go touring round Europe the bit I least look forward to is between Dover and home, some 250 miles of English motorway away.

That includes Italy. :)

12. peakster

peakster Star commenter

I found driving in Italy absolutely terrifying

Don;t get me started about Malaysia

13. secretsiren

secretsiren Star commenter

Yesterday I was in a queue of traffic waiting for the lights to turn red when the woman in front actually got out of her car and left it there to run to another car and have a chat (the other car was also holding up traffic). I - and everyone behind me - had to turn into the right hand lane, causing problems with cars trying to get through to turn right at the next junction (we had to move rather than wait for her to return as there were lights about twenty metres behind me and otherwise the traffic flow in the other direction would have been completed jammed). She just stood and had a conversation through the window while everyone drove round her car. I've never been so flabbergasted. At first I thought she'd had a break down but she ran back to her car a few minutes later, got in and started it up.

I also had a fit of ***-itis when a chap on a bicycle started weaving across the lane of quite a major road (not a motorway or anything but a main road, chocka with traffic, through a very big town) - over to the middle of the lane, back to the left, weave onto the pavement, back to the very right of the lane and back again. He had no hands on the handlebars and kept randomly braking as well, turning round to laugh at the drivers behind him. Absolutely no regard whatsoever for his own or anyone else's safety. I would quite cheerfully have screamed abuse at him if I wasn't (a) an abjecct coward and (b) properly brought up.

My other pet peeve is when people at roundabouts can clearly see there is traffic impeding their exit but they start across anyway, meaning that anyone who needs to go the other way can't go across the roundabout. Why can't they wait as they are meant to?

Wotton and peakster like this.
  14. peakster

peakster Star commenter

My daughter recently passed her driving test and although she is a decent driver she scares me silly at roundabouts - I call it "roundabout roulette" because she just "goes for it" whatever is coming the other way.

This usually results in a bout of screaming (from me) and then shouting (from her).

So we compromise and don't drive together.

15. peakster

peakster Star commenter

I also dislike drivers who block roundabout exits and then just sit there and don't look at you even though they know they have made a mistake.

Had that this morning (twice) and had to sit waiting for almost 5 minutes until various moorons stayed put long enough to let me and the other drivers out.

16. Wotton

Wotton Established commenter

They do that all the time at the mini roundabouts near me. I hate it when I'm waiting for space to cross over and someone behind me is hitting their horn telling me to go!

17. dumpty

dumpty Lead commenter

I think - am not completely sure - that in the UK we do not allow lorries to use non motorway roads/main roads during the night, so yes, they are all pushed out onto the roads during the day.

It certainly would cut their numbers during the day but yes, not so nice for people sleeping in quiet towns with air brakes going off and full beam lorry lights outside your bedroom window.

18. Wotton

Wotton Established commenter

We had workers collecting temporary traffic lights from outside our house at half past midnight. Flashing lights and crashing metal as they threw signs etc onto their lorry.

19. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

I can't stand it when drivers go straight over mini roundabouts or, when wanting to turn right, actually go the wrong way around the roundabout.
    There is a decent-sized mini roundabout at one end of my town's main street and I can go around it easily in an estate car, so why can't drivers in smaller cars do it properly? I've had several near misses when I'm going round the roundabout to take the right side exit and the car behind me, also going right, cuts across and risks smashing into the side of my car.
    I've resolved to start beeping my horn more.

InkyP likes this.
  20. captain scarlet

captain scarlet New commenter

Usually other drivers. especially the ones in wide A*** cars, who just cannot guage the width of the cars, and become Mr brakey Brakey when the spot something comming the toher way.
    Driver who bust a gut trying to get in front of you, then dawdle,