1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What annoys you when driving?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by peter12171, Oct 24, 2017.

1. peter12171

peter12171 Lead commenter

I was driving to work this morning in middling to heavy rain and the driver in front decided to put on his fog lights...because of the rain. It;s one thing that really annoys me - people using fog lights because it is raining (they're only supposed to be used in fog, and then only when visibility is significantly reduced - and putting them on doesn't meant it is safe to drive at the susal speed!).

So what annoys you when driving? A couple of others of mine:

Not using part-time bus lanes when they aren't in operation.
    Failing to indicate.
    Indicating right at a roundabout when going straight ahead.

2. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

People who edge too far forward at junctions meaning I have to swing out to avoid them.
    People who come up to junctions too fast so my brain thinks they're not going to stop.
    Lorries overtaking on a crawler lane... you're the crawler!
    People who sit in the middle lane on a motorway meaning either I undertake [bad] or have to move over two lanes because they don't feel secure.
    When two or three lanes merge down to one lane and people know way in advance and most form a nice orderly queue and others zoom up the lane that'll close... but we're supposed to merge in turn so we're supposed to do that... all rather confusing.
    Random horns. I never know who they are for. Though I did use mine recently for someone who decided to swing their car right in front of me.

3. Spiritwalkerness

Spiritwalkerness Star commenter

4. Spiritwalkerness

[​IMG]

FILTH

5. Spiritwalkerness

Those special lorries that can go one mile an hour faster than the one in front of them meaning they HAVE to overtake for the next 4 miles.

6. knitone

knitone Senior commenter

Everyone except me.

7. knitone

knitone Senior commenter

Especially people who don’t use their indicators. I’m not a bluddy mind reader.

8. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Audis. Nuf sed.

9. slingshotsally

slingshotsally Star commenter

T Junctions where the traffic lights on the blink on one of the entry points.

Drivers without insurance.

Kids who undo seat belts during a drive on the motorway, causing white hairs and stopping on the hard shoulder.

Babies screaming at high pitch whilst driving parent is driving.

Exhausts belching black smoke.

Tyres with bumpy lumps which the truck driver hasn't realised will explode/shred at on the motorway.

knitone likes this.
  10. Dragonlady30

Dragonlady30 Star commenter

Tail-gating!! GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!! :mad: :mad: :mad:

If I can't see your headlights in my rear view mirror, YOU'R TOO FLAMIN' CLOSE!!!!!!!! :mad: :mad: :mad:

11. dumpty

dumpty Lead commenter

I have noticed this (creeping, I call it) much more on my present visit to the UK than ever before.

And it has moved to joining lines in a jam or at lights. The car in front stops, you stop behind and slip into neutral....but no, off he or she creeps as they did not get close enough in the first place.

I do wonder what a driving instructor would say to a new student re this. You are aware the driver is creeping out towards you but often slowing would have the car behind you slamming into you or you would forever be giving way, so as you say, you tend to drive on and around with the expectation they WILL stop the creeping.

But then is that dangerous/careless driving from all of us if it goes wrong???

slingshotsally likes this.
  12. elledriver

elledriver Lead commenter

Motorcyclists who think they are immortal.

13. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Any car horns in radio plays and advertisements.

Drivers when don't know how to merge when lanes reduce from three to two or from two to one.

Four women in a car who have to look at each other when talking.

Male drivers wearing a hat. (Clearly idiots).

Drivers crossing a roundabout to go straight ahead who indicate right then left. Just left after the first exit you idiot!

Cyclists who feel they own the entire lane.

magic surf bus likes this.
  14. newromantic

newromantic New commenter

Queues on slip roads and people who drive up the side and try to push in! Grrrr!

15. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

DJs who play this while I'm driving and don't tell me in advance not to worry that it sounds like I have a puncture when I have the wireless turned up loud.

16. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

I try to wear a Zen hat of non-rufflement when driving. Hard as it is,I find it supremely useful to both pre empt and forgive all driving misdemeanors and potential annoyances. After all, what is the point of losing your temper when actually it wont get you there any quicker? Sometimes I even go the extra mile and purposefully drive with an enormous grin, and as if a miracle, that often comes back to me from other drivers who's eye I may catch in a, say, give way situation. It really is worth adopting a specific driving stance like this, until....

EVERYBODY ON THE ROAD BECOMES AN UNBEARABLE TÕS SER ON FRIDAY AFTERNOON

..my reaction to which I have been detained by police for, seven times now.

needabreak and calamansi like this.
  17. Oscillatingass

Oscillatingass Lead commenter

Drivers who overtake on the inside as though this is a perfectly normal and acceptable mode of driving. Drivers who cant be bothered to signal at roundabouts and drivers who need to have their windows open when waiting at traffic lights or busy junctions so we can all have the benefit of their appalling choice in music. They are generally the ones who discard their fast food detritus out of the same window.

18. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Yes!

So true...

19. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

I had a few driving instructors [don't ask, blame 9/11] and the best two pieces of advice are as follows:

1. If, when you do something, you cause someone else to change their legal driving action, then you are in the wrong. So you pull out and someone has to brake from 30 to 20... you misjudged it. That sort of thing.

2. Everyone on the road is an idiot [cue grinning from me] ... including you.

20. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

I'll tell you something else...

Friday is the worse day ever for driving and there is nothing in the world less tolerable for a salesman than being stuck with an insufferable bore of an unloved teacher who thinks you might become his or her friend if he, or more frequently she, can delay you until the rush hour starts with tales of how he or she came to end up in a Russell Group university.

I can't be a.rsed just now to check at which circle of hell Dante records such people being on, but I reckon he'd suggest the atmosphere will be getting pretty warm in their vicinity.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2017