1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What am I to expect in my NQT year?

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by Nat100, May 5, 2011.

1. Please do not judge me for my lack of knowledge on this subject. I've been so focused on getting this PGCE nailed and finding a job that I haven't looked past July.
    I am very lucky to have found myself a job. They have asked me to start in July so that I can get used to the school and get myself organised.
    But, I have now realised that I don't know what to expect from next year. What support do I get? How many observations do I have? How do I pass/fail? And please tell me I do not have to do anymore assignments? I'm also hoping you won't turn around and tell me to expect it to be ten times harder than my PGCE year hehe :D
    Thanks in advance!

2. Please do not judge me for my lack of knowledge on this subject. I've been so focused on getting this PGCE nailed and finding a job that I haven't looked past July.
    I am very lucky to have found myself a job. They have asked me to start in July so that I can get used to the school and get myself organised.
    But, I have now realised that I don't know what to expect from next year. What support do I get? How many observations do I have? How do I pass/fail? And please tell me I do not have to do anymore assignments? I'm also hoping you won't turn around and tell me to expect it to be ten times harder than my PGCE year hehe :D
    Thanks in advance!

3. Firstly congratulations on securing a post for your NQT year - no mean feat this year!
    The following link is the official guidlines of what to expect - and you should also get some more info from your training provider before the course finishes.
    http://www.tda.gov.uk/get-into-teaching/life-as-a-teacher/induction-year.aspx

This will show you what you are entitled and should expect (eg 10% extra non-contact time, number of observations etc.) Some things should be the same everywhere as they are legal requirements - but the reality of mentor support - it can vary enormously!
    The posts on this forum show a lot of negative and bad NQT experiences - especially regarding the support recieved. There are lots of really good experiences too - my induction has been great and I have flourished in an extremely supportive department and school. I have met once a fortnight with my department mentor to review how things are going, what targets I am working towards etc. There is an open door policy throughout the department (secondary) and I know I can ask any of the teachers for ideas/support - but I use it wisely. Starting in July will give you a chance to meet with any mentors and other people who may be supporting you whilst they are not quite so busy (if Secondary - Y11 and Y13 not in school).
    As to 'is it harder than PGCE' different people have different experiences. Ther are no essays to write - but there will be reports of some description. You do have more lessons to teach - but they are YOUR classes and there are no long reflections to write up afterwards. Your lessons plans will become far more streamlined - you will not need the level of detail that you did on training (although it took me several weeks to shake the habit!!!) I loved the fact that they were MY classes - although every now and again the responsibility of that was a little overwhelming, but I worked through it.
    Make good use of the time in July. Collect shemes of work, timetables (if available), class lists and SEN information. Talk to as many people as possible including support staff. Oh, and check out how to use the important things like the photocopier and tea/coffe facilities - two od the most important daily items ;-) .
    Good luck!