1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What am I doing??!!

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by MorningMagpie, May 26, 2011.

1. Hi all, its my first post on here but I'm just not sure who to turn to for advice.....
    Basically I have been offered a conditional placement on a design and tech PGCE. Its something I've wanted to do for as long as I can remember but never thought I had the ability to do it.... So I have just completed a DEGREE in CRAFTS... now you'd imagine I would have left that with some basic knowledge of materials/machines etc,,,,, but it seems we have been taught very little, I started a placement today for the Student Associate Scheme in a pretty middle class school, the school actually have better facilities than my uni!!! Sitting in lessons for my second day and I feel completely out of my depth!!!!!
    Not only this lack of subject knowledge is concerning me but the condition of my PGCE is passing a maths test. I have been advised to do the Maths for Intending Teaching test at Liverpool John Moores....
    I have had no time to study and the test is in 2 weeks :(!! Its going to cost me over 100 to get there/take the test and I may fail anyway?! I have very little money and just wondering, DOES IT SOUND LIKE IM WASTING MY TIME??!!
    Has anyone had a similar experience???
    I did some work experience in a more 'working class' school and loved it! The naughty kids, the atmosphere, everything was really enjoyable!!

2. Kartoshka

Kartoshka Established commenter

Sounds to me like you've plucked up the courage to apply and have been accepted - so your provider obviously thinks you do have the ability - but now you're panicking again that you can't do it. Stop panicking about what might happen because if you don't then you'll make it a reality for sure. You can do this or you wouldn't have been accepted. If you don't feel you have enough subject knowledge then I'm sure there are books you can buy or borrow for your uni library to help you, and you'll pick up loads from observing lessons and being on placements too. As for the maths test, there's always a chance that you may fail, but if you don't give it a go you'll never know. You still have 2 weeks, so get studying! They won't be expecting a mathematical genius - you just need to pass the test, not get 100%. So it's never too late to revise at least something, which might be the thing that gets you the extra mark needed to put you above the pass threshold. Think positive and try your best, and you might surprise yourself.

3. littlemissraw

littlemissraw Occasional commenter

But if you are giving up a job just think about it firsts as D&T jobs are down by 48%. I've been applying for jobs all year and even with recommendation from TES I can't get an interview...
    If your not then go for it nothing to loose x