1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

what am I doing wrong?

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by davi_theuk, Sep 27, 2015.

1. rachelpaula008

rachelpaula008 Star commenter

I made two typos in a recent CV - having written something like, "I pay close attention to detail..."

The shame of it!! :oops:

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Oh dear! :D

Still, the odd typo will not dissuade most schools from interviewing an (otherwise!) outstanding candidate for their post.

3. DYNAMO67

DYNAMO67 Lead commenter

I am with Middlemarch on this. It isn't a money issue. Doesn't exist now and I am sure if they felt that they could not make an offer that may attract the OP they would either (1) Offer an interview but state that pay will be between X and Y or (2) not bother to interview them.

I do not know the OP but considering their reaction to this, and the fact they have had several interviews as a teacher with 100% A*-C pass rate and still no job, that this is personality based. Even if this is a total misunderstanding their reaction was at best totally misjudged and hasty and at worst quite abrasive.

rachelpaula008, CWadd and wanet like this.
  4. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

This is inappropriate. The OP came here seeking advice, not a baseless character assassination by a stranger. You should hope that in the future you receive more fellowship and charity than you have demonstrated.

5. rachelpaula008

Oh lawks - Vince has discovered this (usually) supportive forum...

Dynamo is a supportive and perceptive individual, with experience and knowledge. I always read his/her replies, which make sense and resonate with other posters.

Apologies to other posters as Vince will now reply and reply and reply, blah blah.

sabrinakat likes this.
  6. Vince_Ulam

@rachelpaula008

This is the TES Community. We are all Community members. There is no part of the Community which is off-limits to any member. You should get used to this fact.

In this case Dynamo's response was about as supportive as a string of wet spaghetti.

7. rachelpaula008

TES needs that certain Gallic 'so what' shrug button...

8. Vince_Ulam

Don't ask me. You're the one who made the fuss.

9. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Actually, from my experience both as a Headteacher and as an Employment Consultant for schools, with participation in hundreds if not thousands of interviews, I felt that @Dynamo 's assessment of the situation was pretty much spot on.

An excellent candidate, from their application, can bring it all to ruins by their performance, attitude and behaviour in interviews.

I shall not post further on this thread as it is being sidetracked.

sabrinakat likes this.
  10. Vince_Ulam

That's as may be, @TheoGriff, but there are ways of saying things - as you showed earlier in the discussion - which are not harsh. I expect that the OP and others like her will think twice about visiting TES again and asking for advice if their personalities are going to be called into question.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2015
  11. wanet

wanet Star commenter

Not a bad idea if they ask for advice and then complain that it was racist, when it clearly wasn't.

sabrinakat and CWadd like this.
  12. Vince_Ulam

Whatever you might think, you aren't the person who was told by an employer that we couldn't have a job because we are 'non-native'. It was point #1 in the OP signifying that Davina was clearly worked up about it and was here told in reply that her English has errors and 'is not of native-speaker level'. The employer might as well have indicated the shade of Davina's skin. That's how it feels.

Here's the thing: Davina knows why she wasn't recruited - she put it down as point #1. The recruiter told her why they wouldn't recruit her. It would have been sensible, then, not to pummel this into her. We all know Theo isn't racist and didn't intend to offend but Davina was calling it as she saw it. Sometimes people do say racist things without holding a racist weltbild. Frankly, there's no way of saying someone can't have a job because their English isn't 'native' and not sounding racist. To repeat that mistake as 'fact', however well-intentioned, was a thoughtless error. For people then to go and abuse Davina's personality was beyond the pale and these people need to buck up their ideas.

Theo, you gave some reasonably good advice, as ever, and I'm glad you're around but here's a word for all you native English speakers reading this.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2015
    Scintillant likes this.
  13. GLsghost

GLsghost Star commenter

:rolleyes: And here's another one.

sabrinakat likes this.
  14. Vince_Ulam

15. Vince_Ulam

Many people hide their failings behind the excuse of objectivity but empathy is what makes us human, enabling fellowship and charity. We expect empathy of the children in our classes - it's not too much to expect it of the adults who teach them.

Scintillant likes this.
  16. DYNAMO67

DYNAMO67 Lead commenter

that is extremely kind. Thank you.

17. Vince_Ulam

Well, will you get a load of that grammatical error. Tsk tsk. Must be a non-native. I hope they aren't working as a teacher.

18. DYNAMO67

DYNAMO67 Lead commenter

Really mate, give it a rest. You are embarrassing yourself. I am not going to rise to your comments. Find an outlet for your undoubted anger elsewhere please.

19. Vince_Ulam

I'm not angry at all, @DYNAMO67, and were you in the same situation as Davina then I would speak up for you, but I am disappointed by the number of teachers here, actual or alleged, who haven't bothered to read the OP. That's the trouble with this place - too many 'mates' pouncing en masse on single comments without taking the time to consider the whole story.

20. snowyhead

snowyhead Lead commenter

I am missing Opinion too.

sabrinakat likes this.