1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What age would you leave a child alone in the bath?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by slippeddisc, Aug 13, 2011.

1. slippeddisc

slippeddisc New commenter

What age would you leave a child alone in the bath if you were in the next room and could hear them and checked every few minutes. I am staying with a friend and think their 3 year old is a bit young for this even though she is quite old for her age. However I am not a parent and shouldn't judge. What age did you leave yours at?

2. slippeddisc

What age would you leave a child alone in the bath if you were in the next room and could hear them and checked every few minutes. I am staying with a friend and think their 3 year old is a bit young for this even though she is quite old for her age. However I am not a parent and shouldn't judge. What age did you leave yours at?

3. I think 3 is too young. If I left the room when mine were in the bath up to the age of about six, it wouls only be to the next room, and I'd leave the door open and keep talking. I used to dump them all in the bath together until they got too large but I certainly wouldn't leave one small child in their own.

4. I totally agree with Lily!

5. 23 and even then I'd need to check they'd washed behind their ears!
    Seriously, I'd say that 3 is definitely too young. Even 7 is too young for some children who are prone to getting into trouble, e.g. hot taps, standing up and slipping, etc.

6. Si N. Tiffick

Si N. Tiffick Occasional commenter

Mine has had time to play in the bath on his own since he was 4- but even now (he's 8) I stay upstairs for the duration of the bath. TBH- he makes SO much noise when he's in the bath, singing and splaching, there'd be no mistaking if anything went wrong!

7. slippeddisc

Yeah my friends child is like this but I still think it's too young at 3 years old. Oh well. Not my business I suppose but I have said I thought it was too young so her decision.

8. NellyFUF

NellyFUF Lead commenter

Why would you want to? It's great fun bath time. You can play quizes, sing, make up stories, collect headlice in the headlice season, play Roly poly puddings and sleigh rides. Bath time is awesome.
    You can potter nearby. No need to leave them unattended though.
    I remember the first time I asked my by then, quite big kids, like er, 6 and 9 - to go upstairs and get ready for bed on their own - not to bath but to clean teeth and put pjs on.... they came back down after 20 mins and clearly no progress had been made. They said
    "There's no water in the taps".
    Oh for heavens's sake we replied.
    "And there are loads of fire engines parked outside and we've been watching them" they said.
    We looked out of the window. It was true. About ten fire engines were parked outside and for the rest of the night teams of fire persons in breathing gear walked up and down the side lane - because the factory next door had caught fire. There was no water in the taps.

9. madenglishgirl

madenglishgirl New commenter

My daughter has insisted that I go and do the washing up while she's in the bath ever since she turned 3 - my kitchen sink is practically next to the bath anyway and she's always singing to herself, so I'm not concerned that something is going to happen while I'm not there.

10. I still stay around when my daughter's in the bath and she's 10. I'm usually pottering and chatting to her through the open door. Mind you I've always been really nervous of leaving them unattended in the bath since I read the awful story of a woman slipping on the wet floor of the bathroom and knocking herself out. When she came round both her daughters had drowned in the bath water. Obviously she hadn't left them unattended, but it scared me witless.
    I'd never have been able to leave them alone at the age of 3.

11. My Mum bought me a sort of plastic frame with suckers on the bottom. You can put a baby who's not quite secure at sitting up in it and they can play with the toys and the bubbles without your having to keep both hands within grabbing reach. I remember my neighbour using the bathroom and asking me straight "You do still stay in the bathroom with him when he's sat in that frame thing, don't you?" How could my babies come to harm when even the neighbours are on my case!

12. I had one of those they're great. Still wouldn't think of leaving littleman in the bath unsupervised though. He drenches the bathroom with his cups and jugs as it is.
    He's nearly three and to be honest I can't remember how old my boys were when I started leaving them.

13. I wouldn't leave my girls unsupervised in the bath and probably won't until they are around six or seven.

14. Blimey, mine could all swim 25 metres by the time they were 4.

15. katycustard

katycustard Occasional commenter

So could mine but they can still drown in a few inches of water. It's hard to swim in a bath!

16. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Lead commenter

I once had a babysitter who had only tiny children. My son, who must have been about ten at the time, went up to bed and the baby sitter said he'd better not have a bath as she wasn't sure if it was safe on his own. He'd probably been bathing on his own for about three years by then but she said she couldn't imagine ever leaving a child on their own in the bath! I did sympathise, as hers were so young. I still listen out for what mine are doing even though three are grown up and one is eleven. The big ones go to bed in the middle of the night, which can be somewhat disturbing!

17. My mum used to put my brother and me in the bath together and this continued when my sister was born until my brother reached the age of 10 and started getting embarrassed about sharing a bath with his sisters! She never left us though. She continued to supervise me in the bath until I was 14 but that was an exceptional case as I have coordination difficulties and could not physically cope with washing my hair so she used to help me do it. I think she'd have gone on doing it, given half the chance, but I asked her not to because it was getting embarrassing for me!

18. I remember when I was 12 or 13 trying to see how long I could hold my breath underwater. I don't think I'd been aware that my mother used to make an excuse to speak to me when i was in the bath even at that age ("Was there enough hot water?" "Enough towels in there?") but she must have called me and I hadn't heard because I had my head under the wtaer. She'd knocked the door (no bolts or locks on anything in our house) and found me face-down and motionless in the water.
    I did hear her scream.

19. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

Brilliant [​IMG]
    The one and only time I offered to bath a baby, I decided to have a bath too. The baby wee-ed all over our clothes (lying on the floor), me and into the freshly run bath water. Boys can really fountain. I was glad it wasn't a poo.

20. I still listen out for what mine are doing even though three are grown up and one is eleven
    Really? I have no desire whatever to know what my adult sons are doing in the bathroom - and had even less desire to know what they were doing when they were 11!