1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What activities have you got planned for the first week back after Christmas?

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by dav1970, Dec 29, 2010.

1. dav1970

dav1970 New commenter

Oh okay, awkward was the wrong word. I meant that 'difficult' first week back after 2 weeks of eating and drinking. Add another 2 weeks onto that with the snow disruption we had!

2. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Then get straight back into lessons on day 1. OK make them exciting and fabulous, even more than usual, but they will be desperate to get back to the routine of school, just as much as you are. Straight into learning on day 1, will be better for them and easier for you. Why waste another day with 'activities'?

3. I plan to . . . TEACH!

4. dav1970

dav1970 New commenter

Okay, hint taken, no messing around just TEACH! [​IMG]

5. I have a new class (new job!) too which feels strange for the time of year! Any ideas....??

6. hey, I am in the same boat, I have just finished my PGCE and got a job beginning next week. I feel a bit like a small fish in a big ocean right now! I am teaching a year 1 class so I was going to do a meet and greet by using circle time to introduce myself and get some information about the children. Ask what everyone's favourite part of their holidays were, what they like. then go into rules and expectations including rewards if they are good, (Oh please let them be good!), do some phonics and go into writing a couple of sentences about their holidays. Any other ideas are much appreciated!