1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What a waste of time this is!! (one for the ladies?)

Discussion in 'Personal' started by tartetatin, Jun 6, 2011.

1. Hello everyone [​IMG]
    A few weeks ago, I went to a local family planning clinic to discuss having a Mirena Coil fitted (or a coil consultation, as they called it ;o))
    Turned out that they had a waiting time of a few months to have it fitted, so I thought I'd be quicker off going to my GP to have it done.
    When I phoned the surgery today to make an appointment, the receptionist told me that I would need an appointment with the GP prior to having it done by the nurse.
    I explained that I had already done this at the local family planning clinic .... and she had none of it! So I have to book two separate appointments: one to discuss it with the GP, and then one on another day for the fitting.
    Jesus wept, is it any wonder that the NHS has financial difficulties? And why are women (who are trying to do the responsible thing re their contraception) treated like absolute blo.ody eejits .... who happen to have nothing better to do than attend these appointments?
    People who don't think outside the box really annoy me!

2. Hi tartetatin, it does seem rather a waste of time! However, the nurse appointment might be to get swabs done. They have to be long enough in advance to get the clear result back, or for any treatment to start working. I've had the Mirena for nearly 14 months now and am very pleased with it.
    Suze

3. Hi Suze. Yes, I've heard good things (on the whole!) about the MC.
    Nah, the GP appointment is to discuss it only. Then the nurse fits it in a separate appointment. I just thought we could do without the former!

4. smoothnewt

smoothnewt Lead commenter

It could well be that the doctor will examine you to check that the coil can be fitted easily by the nurse. Sometimes the coil needs to be fitted under anaesthetic if the womb is tilted (or something along those lines). I experienced the latter scenario.

5. Shocked.
    Shocked.
    I won't tell you how it is done in Germany, or I will get told off again.
    (I hope you do well with it when you finally get it - it didn't work for me)

6. I had mine the other way round, discussed with the nurse twice as it happened, then an appt with the Dr, and nurse assisting, for the fitting,
    There's a thread on H and W about the coil which I saved if you'd like the link to it.

7. My womb is tilted - I didn't need an anaesthetic (although you are correct that it is often done that way) but because of the tilt, it was far too painful to cope with "wearing" (does one "wear" a coil) and I had lots of other problems, so I had it removed (without an appointment!)

8. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

Just to be a downer, sorry . . . . . .a friend had this coil fitted and suffered terribly - mood swings and out-rages, she hated it and had it removed . . . this is the coil that releases hormones isn't it? I'm sure this is the one she had.

9. Thanks, smoothnewt. Coincidentally, when I had the coil consultation, I also had a smear test in the same appointment. So I think they already did that check .... although my smear phobia had me rather distracted!
    I hope you now find the coil worth it!

10. Yes - I found "wearing it" (lol, or whatever you call it) very painful (but that could be down to my womb tilt - the other coil is out of the question for me, I was told that previously) but I also turned into a mad banshee.
    I know many who are fine with it though.
    I just wanted to point out to tarty that it is not for everyone.

11. If it is fitted at the GP surgery by the nurse, the GP has legal responsibility for it. That's why they need to see you. If you had a blood clot or something because of the hormones (UNLIKELY!!!) somebody's lawyer would be wanting to know why that practice allowed the nurse to fit it.
    I have several friends who had Mirena and they were all delighted with it. I really wish I had had one years ago but i am too squeamish to have a THING inside me. A bendy metal thing. Not a "thing".

12. None of my smears ever showed a womb tilt - it was only detected whilst I was pregnant (but as you have been a few times I guess you would know by now!)

13. smoothnewt

I had it fitted in 2001 - the best thing I ever did! I was forty two then, and eventually the ludicrously heavy and prolonged periods stopped altogether - brilliant. I've since passed through the menopause with the minimum of symptoms. The coil is still in, and I really should make an appointment to remove it as it would surely have stopped working four years ago, but I am a bit squeamish.

14. smoothnewt

I believe it is a bit of plastic.

15. Blimey, lots of new responses during my slow typing! I will try to remember what everyone has said!
    Perhaps it's fate, you know. I am INCREDIBLY squeamish when it comes to 'down below', to the extent that I won't wear tampons. How I ended up with 3 children is anyone's guess [​IMG]. If I didn't get on with the coil, then having it taken out would be dreadful. Sigh. Contraception is difficult, isn't it? Hard for us wimmin to find something that we're happy with.
    Oops, sausages burning so must dash for now xx

16. God, can't you just tell him to take a cold shower?

17. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

Neither do I.
    Bloody nightmare.
    Male pill; if only we could trust them to remember to take it [​IMG]

18. I am having problems with my contraception and this coil sounds interesting. Can someone tell me a bit more about it please.

19. Have you thought about a hormone patch or injections? Would save you the "down below" bit (although you must have your smears, of course).
    I have no personal experience of them, but I know some TESSers were quite impressed and happy with their experiences.

20. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

Ok...here goes.
    I asked for one 2 years ago. I was told the Doc needed to fit it but nurse would be there, and GP appointment was duly made.
    Now, in my GP surgery there are 2 nurses. One who has 4 children and is marreid to the senior practitioner. The other is............a virgin.No prizes for guessing who I got [​IMG]
    So, on arrival Virgin Mary says 'is this your first coil or a re-fit?' to which I answered thar she should perhaps check her notes. She then said 'I'd better see if we have a mirena' to which I replied 'that might be a good idea'.
    She then asked me to strip from the waist down, followed by 'that was quick' ! ***!!! [​IMG]
    Doc appeared, shone the necessary light, she had a good butchers too (was tempted to suggest she took a photo as it would last longer) and Doc declared I have cervical stenosis, scarring from childbirth, that meant nothing fatter than a sperm cell would make it past my knackered cervix [​IMG]
    He said I'd have to go to outpatients at the hospital and have my cervix aneasthetised!
    Two weeks later off I went. Italian gynae spent his time peering and poking around my fanny parts, talking to the nurse about spaghetti, before declaring even he wouldn't go there and I needed a general aneasthetic [​IMG]
    I finally get a day surgery appointment. Get the thing done and afterwards El Spaghetti tells me while he was up tgere he had a good root around and....blah, blah, blah! [​IMG]
    Well, thank you very much!!!!
    Anyway, mirena has been fabbo and I don't even get periods anyomore. Have now moved to a different health authority so when the time comes to remove it, hopefully I'll get a gynae/nurse/GP with manners!
    Go for it. It is amazing!
    [​IMG]