1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What a waste of 2 years!!

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by pianomeng, Jul 21, 2011.

1. Completed PGCE, passed induction, and I never intend to step foot in a UK secondary school again...ever.

I'm just glad it's all over.

Goodbye!
    x

2. littlemissraw

littlemissraw Occasional commenter

Why? Staff/Kids/School? x

3. I'm amazed that someone can spend two years of their life on something without experiencing anything they enjoyed.
    Seriously?

4. I did enjoy some aspects - the relationships I built with some classes, seeing many students achieve, and I made some good friends who I'll stay in contact with.
    But - teaching is not for everyone.....for me there are way too many negatives to weigh up against the few positives.
    Most teachers do an amazing job in the most awful working conditions.
    The happiest moment of the last two years was driving home this afternoon, knowing i never have to set foot in a secondary school again!!!!
    Time to move on
    X

5. Shame to hear as you sound like you experienced the major positives of the job.
    But good luck with the next step in your life. Am I allowed to ask if you have secured your next job?

6. Hi

Yes I have a job starting October abroad (not teaching). I know I'm lucky to have this, as otherwise I might well be living off supply teaching.
    X

7. jubilee

jubilee Lead commenter

When you are absolutely sure that you will not return to UK teaching, remember that your one year in the pension(if you were contributing)will not qualify you for a pension when you retire if left in the TPS.
    Your options are:
    Wait to continue contributing later (LA or private school teaching ). You need at least 2 years in the scheme to get a payout;
    Transfer the TPS pension into another occupational pension (do this within 12 months of joining a new pension);
    Withdraw your one year of contributions. Tax and extra NI will be levied, reducing the refund. No tax was originally paid on the money taken from pay for the pension and being in the pension meant lower NI on your wage. Withdrawing puts your taxes back to what you would have paid had you never been in the pension.

8. littlemissraw

littlemissraw Occasional commenter

Can this be done jubilee?! I can't get a post and so am trying to get back into industry. Can't see me ever being able to get back into teaching now so money would come in use x

9. Thanks Jubilee that's useful to know
    x

10. You have my complete empathy. Good luck to you and well done for having the courage of your convictions. X

11. What are you doing next out of interest?
    Good luck.

12. I Tefl'd abroad for several years before doing my PGCE. A friend from that country has a business and I'll be working for them. Don't want to identify myself so I won't be more specific!
    x

13. jubilee

jubilee Lead commenter

I had about 7 months in the TPS when I ran out of my 4 term supply allowance in 2001 and was unemployed for 5 terms. I had no hopes of finishing Induction and was disillusioned with teaching. I withdrew my pension when I realised it would never pay me out anything if it was never added to.
    I came to regret that decision as I ended up being taxed on the rebate but hadn't actually earned enough in the previous tax year (when the contributions were made) to have paid tax anyway. I then returned to teaching and the 7 months would be far more useful to me now in the pension than the few hundred pounds I got back.