1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What a terrible loss of life

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Duke of York, Sep 24, 2015.

1. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

I was dismayed to hear today's news about the Hajj pilgrimage stampede. This is the 6th tragedy at Hajj since 1987, bring the total loss of life so far in the 6 events to 3519. Surely by now, the Saudis should have done a risk assessment and put measures in place to prevent a recurrence of a stampede?

What causes a stampede among humans anyway?

2. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

Don't they all want to get as close as they can to the ....thing? I dunno. I was listening to this on R4 but I must've tuned out.

Religious obligations. Some may call it superstition. I don't get it.

3. xena-warrior

xena-warrior Star commenter

Leaving aside the reason for so many people congregating in one place at the same time, do the people in charge of this event feel no sense of responsibility for the safety of the pilgrims? It's not as though this is the first time such a tragedy has occurred. Are they clerics or bureaucrats? I see no reason why they shouldn't be sued but seeing as the almighty has already chucked a crane at a mosque, I daresay they won't.

4. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

If you throw stones at Satan, he won't be pleased. The religious will be saying "See I told you it wasn't all a pack of lies."

5. maurice-r

maurice-r Established commenter

How many stampedes at Lourdes?

6. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

I seem to recall the unsympathetic and fatalistic response of the Saudi head of state during the tunnel incident a few years ago, in which many hundreds died. He decreed it was the Will of Allah, their time had come, and if those people hadn't been on Hajj they'd have all died somewhere else at exactly the same moment.

Clearly not a fan of the Health and Safety culture then.

7. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

Ah, breaking news 36 minutes ago: the Saudi King demands a safety review!

8. Geoff Thomas

Geoff Thomas Star commenter

I heard this morning that the authorities had closed two roads for the state procession of some princeling, thus bottling up large numbers of pilgrims.

9. xena-warrior

xena-warrior Star commenter

Better late than never, I suppose.