1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What a surprise

Discussion in 'Education news' started by gainly, Nov 21, 2019.

1. yasf

yasf Established commenter

Anyone that has taught in the far east will know that most students - once finished with your 6/7 hour day will then do up to another 6 hours afterwards. Everyday.

alex_teccy, JL48 and dumbbells66 like this.
  2. dumbbells66

dumbbells66 Lead commenter

Its why i never put any importance on PISA scores.

3. JL48

JL48 Star commenter

I used to use them as a stick to beat the Americans with when I taught overseas.

4. dumbbells66

dumbbells66 Lead commenter

But there are so many sticks to beat them with, its hardly fair

Grandsire, bessiesmith2 and JL48 like this.
  5. install

install Star commenter

Gotta say that has been my experience too. In worse cases I have seen dire management of finances by some hts; restructuring to get rid of expensive staff only to bring back the original structure some time after; awful and distant governors never ever talking to teachers to double check what they were being told - and sadly lazy slt in places too keen to claim credit for success on the back of their latest scapegoat teacher.

Jonntyboy and Grandsire like this.
  6. JL48

JL48 Star commenter

The best argument yet against giving schools financial independence. Well done guys :)

7. install

install Star commenter

It is fascinating when it comes to some leaders and school finances.

And in some schools that was the problem. Some hts took 'financial independence' to mean the money was fir them (and sometimes not the school at all). Financial independence for schools is not a good thing where there are dodgy hts / ceos imho.

8. JL48

JL48 Star commenter

Problem is there are too many schools and not enough good leaders. It's why the LEA system was / is necessary.

Grandsire, Catgirl1964 and install like this.
  9. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

China rigs its PISA rankings by only allowing PISA to assess 4 regions (high performing ones selected by China obvs). China won't allow PISA to assess the whole China education system. China would certainly not rank at number 1 if it did.

install and alex_teccy like this.
  10. alex_teccy

alex_teccy Lead commenter

I suspected as much.

install likes this.
  11. JL48

JL48 Star commenter

They also bus in bright kids from other areas to the four cities to boost their scores.

alex_teccy likes this.
  12. install

install Star commenter

Agree. And rhere needs to be more accountability and checks for hts / ceos imo.

13. Jonntyboy

Jonntyboy Lead commenter

I also agree. But I gather that there were in the past extremely good LEAs that did well and extremely poor LEAs that didn't. Also, though I wasn't around teaching then, I'm told that in some cases the political interference was appalling.

Given that, putting sustained effort into training a lot more really good leaders might appear to be one reasonable way to go... !

alex_teccy and Catgirl1964 like this.
  14. JL48

JL48 Star commenter

That would have been a relatively easy fix - just give the LEAs more independence. And it's not as though it's not appalling now. It just comes from central government and the DM.
    Believe it or not, that's been done already. Surely you can feel the benefit . . . o_O

15. Jonntyboy

Jonntyboy Lead commenter

Lol. Indeed. Not enough, clearly, yet!

But I meant that the political interference by the LEAs was appalling... don't forget, they were all run by one party or another - weren't they?