1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What a sad article (teaching)

Discussion in 'Personal' started by coffeekid, Feb 27, 2016.

1. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

I had a job, oh years ago now, that I had to leave as it was definitely affecting my health. Horrible school, hard, hard kids, and a ridiculous commute. reading this article brought back a few memories I'd repressed - this chap seems to have had a far worse time then I did. I wasn't on medication, and I wasn't suicidal, but I certainly wasn't happy and I'm glad I bailed out, even though at the time I felt like the world's biggest flake for doing so.
    Anyway - article here:

http://www.theguardian.com/teacher-...ing-robbed-me-of-my-health-and-nearly-my-life

cissy3 likes this.
  2. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

I say "chap" but it's a woman. Doh.
    Although women can be chaps too. :- )

3. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

One of the comments says it all:

We are now at the point where if you have recently qualified as a teacher, nurse or doctor, you'd have to be insane not to move abroad to work unless you had obligations keeping you here.

4. delnon

delnon Lead commenter

Chapess, then. :)
    Reading Wilshaw's drivel made me look up the suicide rate for teachers, but I can't find any data more recent than 2009, when the rate had practically doubled. Does anyone have more recent data?

5. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

A very sad read. I agree with her observation that it is the best teachers who are most likely to be broken by our current system.

janelovell128 and cissy3 like this.
  6. cissy3

cissy3 Star commenter

7. Dragonlady30

Dragonlady30 Star commenter

Oh CK, what a terribly sad article. Parts of it describe last few years in the profession and it was not until I had left the school with the poison LT that I was able to see to see the situation clearly.

If the lady who wrote this happens to come into this forum, I would like to wish her well and promise her there is life after mean, cruel, self-satisfied, bullying SLT.

Motherofchikkins and delnon like this.