1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

what a lovely day

Discussion in 'Personal' started by emilystrange, Jun 14, 2015.

1. emilystrange

emilystrange Star commenter

London yesterday. We were down to see British Sea Power, a band much admired by Mr S and only slightly less by me. We had all day, so I had a look on the train at the Alexander McQueen thing at the V&A - generally sold out when we've been able to go. Instead, I ended up getting a membership plus guest deal, we saw that exhibition and the Shoe one, got 10% off our lunch and decided the members' lounge was rather nice. Nearly got all the cost back already. I do love the place and could happily spend days in it.
    The McQueen stuff is brilliant. Lord, that boy could cut and sew...
    Tapas for dinner, gig was very good, train journey back uneventful. :D

2. Spiritwalkerness

Spiritwalkerness Star commenter

Ems, what did you think of The McQueen exhibition. I was absolutely blown away - the curator/designer has done a brilliant job. I'm off to the shoes one in a few months.

Regarding BSP, was Joan Armitrading the special guest? I 'know' the bear lol

3. emilystrange

The bear was crowd surfing, which was a sight to see :D

No, no Joan, Bo Ningen supported.

They have done a brilliant job with it, yes. I think they captured the spirit of it with how they've placed the mannequins, the head pieces and things.

Shoes was good, but not enough of them! But then, there never are...

I want to go back and see them both again when it's less busy. And I can, with my new membership card! :D

4. Spiritwalkerness

We could make a date? I had to go one my ownsome which, to be honest has its benefits but was such a shame I had no-one to go 'Oooooh' with

5. HelenREMfan

HelenREMfan Star commenter

That sounded to be a lovely day out Emily.....

6. emilystrange

no cake though. couldn't physically fit any in.

summer hols, ness? or something... if we make it, i can take you in for nowt on my guest pass and we don't have to book.

7. Spiritwalkerness

That's a date! As long as it doesn't clash with 'pony patting'

8. emilystrange

9. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

Thank you for this thread, emily. It gives me the opportunity to tell you that our day yesterday was partly spent at the village "music festival" and fun day. The sort of thing you might have imagined would be dreary, running alive with annoying kids and indifferent music, which it was. At least insofar as the annoying kids, however it would be better to describe them as harmlessly boisterous. My sweetheart had wanted to go along and so we went, with my expectation that an hour's attendance at most would be sufficient to disinterest her.

The music though, turned out to be a lot better than I'd imagined and there was a beer stall provided by the social club selling beer for three quid a pint, among which was a decent bitter, so we stayed for a few hours, after which we walked home to tend to the animals, who by then, were ravenous and we'd discovered that none of the raffle tickets we'd been urged to buy had won.

The raffle warrants mention, in that around fity prizes had been donated, of which the majority were bottles of wine and the ticket sales had began as soon as the event opened. The first dozen numbers to be called came from the opening pages of the raffle book and seemed to belong to folk who had long disappeared. They had put all the tickets in an ancient tombola tumbler and at one point when given a vigorous spin, the door came open, allowing the tickets to fall out and be scattered far and wide by the welcome breeze, which was at that point, enabling everyone to sit in the heat of the scorching sun.

The calling of the raffle had been done by the village crier, a man for whom credit is surely due for having the fortitude and good spirit to remain dressed in his red crier's outfit and tri-corn hat under the stifling heat for the entire afternoon.

Anyway, having fed the animals, we decided to see what the remainder of the entertainment would be like, stopping on the way back to collect some fish and chips for our own supper.

The stage the acts played on was the back of a lorry, kindly provided by a local trucking firm and equipped with a professional sound system, monitored attentively by competent technicians before each act performed by the careful arrangement and balancing of mikes, some eight alone for the drum kit. I was impressed that so much trouble had been taken to give the bands the best chance of a successful performance.

As for the bands, they were all local, all young and all surprising talented. The headline act was of course the best and tightest, comprised of skillful musicians I would guess to be barely twenty years old but mostly played rock classics I would have listed to at their age.

I was delighted to see that their singer was a shy girl who at one time worked in the village mini market. I don't think it unfair to say might have been described as jailbait. On stage, her diffidence wasn't in evidence at all and boy, could she sing. I felt really proud that I might one day be relating the story when this band become famous, as they surely must, that she once sold me fags and booze but I could see from the way she dressed and styled her long blonde hair with subtle streaks of colour there was something that set her apart from the crowd.

I wondered for a moment whether to seek out the Mama Lion LP I had listened to relentlessly at her age to offer her as a gift, since she was surely the reincarnation of Lynn Carey, but then I realised I had lost it in the midst of time when we went digital and my collection of records became a hindrance to store and move home with.

The gist of all this is to say that I shall never again have the reluctance of attending a local event such as this, because when properly organised as this one was and with a professionally managed sound system to give these kids the best possible chance to let their talents shine as brightly as the bands we are familiar with, there remains the possibility that live music will survive.

10. emilystrange

now that's how it should be!

11. marlin

marlin Star commenter

We were due to go to a 'Proms in the Park' event in our town yesterday. Son and D-i-L were coming too and we'd sorted out a lovely picnic to share.

Unfortunately it rained here almost non-stop all day and so the event had to be cancelled.

We had our picnic around the dining table instead.

Pleased to hear others were not thwarted by the rain though and had such lovely days.

12. Duke of York

Indeed, emily, and I learned at the end of the evening that the whole event had been laid on free of charge by the sponsors and musicians in aid of Cancer Research, the Alzheimer's Society and Demelza House, a local children's hospice, so not only had it been surprisingly good entertainment which gave local youngsters to show off their talent, it was a worthy one.

It occurs to me that Mama Lion will probably be an unfamiliar band these days. In 1972 when their debut album was released, there was a lot of tut-tutting in the media over the choice of album cover which depicted Lynn Carey breastfeeding a lion cub. The songs on the album were all cover versions but given new and interesting arrangements which in many instances were improvements on the originals.

Here's an example. The singist I mentioned doesn't look a bit like Lynn, but can belt it out with the same gusto.

[View:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mxv78neoySw]

13. felltogroundinberkeleysquare

felltogroundinberkeleysquare Established commenter

Although I have pretty much abandoned TES, I occasionally visit without comment for a laugh. Have to say anyone belting out someone else's song does not show a great deal of talent when there are plenty of original singer songwriters about. It's like eating pot noodle.

14. rachelpaula008

rachelpaula008 Star commenter

Yep - you made a big show and tell about it when previously trying to undermine emily's posts. You failed with that, btw. Been on the 'raspberry lemonade' again?

15. Duke of York

TES would probably fall short of being described as the Garden of Eden, despite the legless reptiles it occasionally attracts to tempt us away from the likes of pot noodle and take a bite from the apples. I'm sorry to learn you've pretty much abandoned TES, eggie. There was always entertainment and amusement to be found in trying to work out what your posts were about and the points you attempted to make. Please come back full time, if only to help psychiatrists and psychologists find an easy path to the material they need to help understand what makes people who behave outside the norm tick.

16. tidal

tidal New commenter

Do you actually know how many cover versions have gone on to be more successful than the original versions?
    I can provide quite a long list if you like.

Or you could just look

17. Honestly, really, dear, in peace and love, as Ringo said, do yourself a favour and never post anything like that again. People will just be worried about you. Call a friend, eh?

18. primarycat

primarycat Star commenter

Glad you had such a fab day, Emily!

19. Duke of York

I suspect it would be likely that the works of Shakespeare would have died an early death were it not for the trouble actors over the years took the trouble to interpret in their own way. They had a lad at the event we went to yesterday who was a singer/songwriter in the style of Ed Sheeran. He was pretty good if you like that sort of thing, but for me, a time to prop up the bar and chat up the barmaid. If he makes his name from the songs he wrote, my best guess is it will be via someone else. There's no shortage of singer/songwriters, but there's a shortage in the number who go on to fame for singing their own songs.

20. Don#t think Shakespeare was the guy for his time in the same way Bob Dylan and Kurt Cobain were for theirs. I think Bill was appreciated centuries out of his time, a bit like the England football team are now, time having condensed somewhat media-wise. England haven't won the world cup (or much) for nearly 50 years but still people bang on as if they dunnit last year. if no plays anyone thought were specially good after 1610 (and yeh OK people went to whatever was on/ like they do now) you can see why a bit of a revival might be in place, like Oscar Wilde and Forster had pre-millennium and Orwell gets just for being a decent writer though a mediocre screenplay-conduit.