1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What a lively Class - Help !!

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by Lace4299, Jul 2, 2011.

1. Hi guys, this is my first post - but I just HAD to ask for some advice...
    I have a yr 1 class from September.. I met them on Thursday for the first time - well...
    22 BOYS and 5 GIRLS!! oh my word!!... behaviour isnt great at all, they only sit for ten mins at a time! They are great children though - just SO SO lively!
    any advice... behavioural management techniques that you knnow work with the little ones? or reward scemes... anything is welcome!!

Thanks x

2. Firstly, I wouldn't expect year 1 children to be sitting for ten minutes at a time!
    Make your rules and expectations clear and ALWAYS stick to them. Never every make empty threats or empty promises. If you say something, always follow through on it be it reward or sanction.
    Never speak when they are speaking. Even if it feels like time is running out. As soon as you start to talk when they are talking you are showing them that it is acceptable for them to just carry on regardless.
    I taught in a very challenging school with year 1. I gave the children their own little envelopes which they decorated and throughout the week gave out points. At the end of the week we would have a boy of the week, girl of the week and most improved. Once we were in the spring term I started to add the element of team groups instead of individuals for team of the week.