1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What a great advert for our town!

Discussion in 'Personal' started by anon468, May 10, 2011.

1. anon468

anon468 New commenter

Went to pick up tickets from the train station today and gazed open mouthed at the expensive-looking vinyl banners adorning the first hotel you clap eyes on as you exit the station and arrive in our picturesque little town. Worded thus:
    The ***** hotel
    Where a freindly welcome await's you.
    Town is really not populated by illiterates. Honest! [​IMG]

2. It's only a matter of time before those of us who care about these things are in the minority [​IMG]

3. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

I regularly cringe my way through assemblies at the spelling mistakes and grammatical errors up on the powerpoint. Our brighter kids must notice them too.

4. So, I was the only one wondering what the ******* were hiding so I did not notice the errors

5. cinnamonsquare

cinnamonsquare Occasional commenter

Nope, I did that too!

6. anon468

anon468 New commenter

LOL, RF!
    I don't think I'll be giving much away if I say it's The Castle Hotel.
    Or should that be The Castel Hotel? [​IMG]

7. Ecky thump, and where you are is POSH!

8. Omg so glad I'm not the only one who notices this! Loads of people I know on facebook seem to do it - I have lost count the number of times I have seen "photo's".
    I once saw Shoe's on a shop window in HUGE lettering.
    Beginning to see why my class think I'm the "punctuation police" haha, but apostrophe misuse is so annoying!

9. Arrrrrrgh!!!

10. Open Sunday's what?
    Doesn't she mind it being opened?

11. catmother

catmother Star commenter

Me too!

12. Brilliant! [​IMG]

13. anon468

anon468 New commenter

Blimey, there really are some shockers out there.
    Quick opinion poll: one of the local Chinese takeaways recently changed its name to 'Golder Star'. There is clearly a mistake there, but I'm just wondering how it came to pass?
    Any ideas????

14. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

<u>SPECIAL'S </u>

Black Current Tart's
    Pasty's

15. Typo?!

16. Joi

Joi New commenter

My local Asda car park has huge signs that read, "Please collect and return your trollies here".

Sainsburys used to sell "Peach Dices".

17. dominant_tonic

dominant_tonic Established commenter

Maybe a chinese english thing about distingusishing between n and r? I don't know. Koreans and Southern Chinese find l and r difficult because they do not have separate sounds in their language for it. So rice becomes lice etc.
    Also they often don't pronounce final conosnants, so maybe that's a contributary factor?

18. anon468

anon468 New commenter

Twice! On the 'professionally' made signs in the windows.
    Laughing my head off at the 'trollies' post! I have visions of everyone whipping off their scanties. [​IMG]

19. anon468

anon468 New commenter

That's what I initially thought, DT. I think it was meant to be 'Golden Star'.

20. I thought this was acceptable as the word photograph has been shortened and the ' is for the omission of graph...

Everyday I drive past a poster for a local nursery-
    "OUTSTANDING say's OFSTED"